Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Super-tweeter, super-image, super-sound
Thanks For The Idea [message #48765 is a reply to message #48731] Tue, 31 January 2006 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the idea. I tried it with two tweeters I had on the shelf, a cheap dome and a better quality ribbon. The cheap dome is a $14, 96dB, MCM #53-325 titanium dome. That's the one used in the Bottlehead Straight 8. It has a nasty peak at 3khz, but for this purpose I crossed it over above 10khz, 2nd order, using a 1uF cap with a 0.15mH shunt inductor. Not bad - it adds back just a touch of sizzle I'm accustomed to hearing with domes that aren't horn loaded, but not enough to cause excess siblance or to make the sound too tizzy. The ribbon is the $88, 95dB, Fountek 3.0. This one is really nice. It provides the sparkle I like to hear without a hint of tizz. A good test disk is Patricia Barber's Modern Cool. Early in track 8 there's a brush on a ride cymbal, first in the right channel then in the left - the supertweeter brings this out nicely without any apparent changes below about 10khz.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message