Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7Pi plans
7Pi plans [message #48753] Mon, 30 January 2006 15:10 Go to next message
Otor is currently offline  Otor
Chancellor
Hello,

could I have plans for 7pi corner-horns using Eminence Kilomax 18" ? What's also the difference between Magnum 18 and Kilomax 18 (sonically speaking) ? Is Alpha 10 instead of Delta 10 a bad choice for the middle-horn ? Could I also use JBL 2426H instead of Eminence PSD 1" ?

Thank you in advance,

O'Tor

You've got mail! [message #48755 is a reply to message #48753] Mon, 30 January 2006 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Kilomax doesn't have a shorting ring. The Magnums have a shorting ring which reduces distortion. All of the JBL drivers have shorting rings.

I would prefer the Delta 10 in the midhorn except in cases where the rear chamber is made large and vented to do double-duty as a bass system. The midhorn with the Delta 10 has a little better upper midrange output, and it has better power handling too. Even if you're not planning to push them, it's nice to have the overhead.

Re: You've got mail! [message #48757 is a reply to message #48755] Tue, 31 January 2006 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O'Tor is currently offline  O'Tor
Esquire
Wayne,

Thanks, I’ve replied you by email – you sent me by mistake 15” version and I was interested more in seven π-18 corner horn “Premium Series”.
As I already have 4 pieces of kilomax 18” I was wondering to use two of them per side in push-pull configuration in order to decrease volume of the box and also to decrease distortion (kind of shorting ring effect?).
I suppose in this case I have to reduce cabinet volume by 2, to recalculate the port length accordingly and, the hard part, to recalculate crossover in some way – could you help me with that please?

Thanks,

O’Tor

Re: You've got mail! [message #48766 is a reply to message #48757] Tue, 31 January 2006 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Push-pull is a great idea, and I think the π cornerhorn is a great design for implementing the push-pull configuration because the drivers are hidden. But a pair of 18" woofers might need a pretty big box. Best to align the cabinet slightly overdamped or EBS when used for a π cornerhorn bass bin.

Re: You've got mail! [message #48768 is a reply to message #48766] Wed, 01 February 2006 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O'Tor is currently offline  O'Tor
Esquire
Wayne,

First, thank you for 18" plans.

I meant push-pull in face-to-face - "Isobaric" - arrangement, as for example on http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/images/clam.gif. The box volume has to be 1/2 in this case.

When I connect speakers in parallel, I suppose that impedance pas from 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms (rough approach...) so I suppose the only change I have to do is modify L3 accordingly. I imagine two possibilities: to raise the value of L3 from 5mH to 10mH and put 2 woofers in parallel: 2L-(W||W); or to keep 5mH with each woofer and put the combo in parallel (L-W) || (L-W). Which approach would you recommend? Is there anything else I have to modify?

Thanks,

O’Tor

Re: You've got mail! [message #48769 is a reply to message #48768] Wed, 01 February 2006 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As far as the coils go, it's really just a matter of inductance and resistance. Two coils - one on each woofer - would be similar to one larger coil with half the DCR. Choose whichever method suits you best.

Re: You've got mail! [message #48781 is a reply to message #48769] Thu, 02 February 2006 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Otor is currently offline  Otor
Chancellor
Wayne,

Thanks a lot for all your responses, I will build your original dessign. It is realy a hughe box, btw

Re: You've got mail! [message #48797 is a reply to message #48766] Fri, 03 February 2006 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leeloo is currently offline  Leeloo
Esquire
Any idea what will be the size of push-pull π cornerhorn with a pair of 18" drivers? Maybe as it is in the corner the larger size will less WAF problematic than two 12π in a living room off 50 m2.

Thanks and Regards,
Matjaz

Re: You've got mail! [message #48800 is a reply to message #48797] Sat, 04 February 2006 12:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I will depend on the components chosen and the tuning alignment. You'll want a slightly overdamped curve for the π cornerhorn.

Previous Topic: 7pi-18 Audiophile plans
Next Topic: 12 pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 02:22:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout