Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 Pi Theater With 8" Eminence Beta Midrange
3 Pi versus Magnepans [message #48740 is a reply to message #48737] Sun, 29 January 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The biggest difference is about 12-15dB sensitivity. The 3 Pi will play louder with a 2 watt amp than the Maggies will play with 200 watts. The Magnepan 3.6's are the best sounding speakers I have owned, but I sold them because they would clip a 110w/ch Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp, and to my ears the smaller amps, especially SET's, sounded better. So for about $4,500 you can get one of the best speakers in the world, but you will need to spend another $10K minimum to get the amount of tube power needed to drive it. The 3 Pi doesn't have the resolution of the Magnepan, but I prefer to listen to it with my 3 watt Bottlehead Paramours over the Maggies with a monster amp. Other than that it's hard to compare them because two speakers couldn't be more different than the 3 Pi's and the Maggie 3.6's. Try to imagine two women: One is tall & thin, PHD in Economics, high $ net worth, sophisticated, enjoys opera, likes to dine at expensive restaurants, but with a personality that's a bit on the cool side. The other is short & curvey (but not fat), high school diploma, has $500 in her checking account, enjoys C&W music, likes Shiner beer and backyard barbeques, is warm hearted, and cooks the best apple pie in town. Which would you be happier with?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message