Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7pi vs. JBL Hartsfield
7pi vs. JBL Hartsfield [message #48703] Thu, 26 January 2006 12:57 Go to next message
TyBiggs is currently offline  TyBiggs
Esquire
Hello,
How do the 7pi's compare to the JBL Hartsfield? I recently heard the Classic Audio Repros of the Hartsfield and was extremely impressed. So much so, that I thought about building a pair.

What I liked about the JBLs was the effortless dynamics/stomp, albeit with that vintage sound. I did a search on various forums and read very favorable comments on the 7pi and some that compared them to the Klipschorn.

Thanks.

Re: 7pi vs. JBL Hartsfield [message #48704 is a reply to message #48703] Thu, 26 January 2006 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If possible, come out to the Great Plains Audiofest in May. That way you can hear the seven π cornerhorns for yourself.

Re: 7pi vs. JBL Hartsfield [message #48715 is a reply to message #48703] Fri, 27 January 2006 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hy TyBiggs ..regarding to you post about the JBL Hartsfield could tell me if the model hartsfield is sell as a kit or the plans to build it from scratch are available ..thanks

Hartsfield DIY [message #48716 is a reply to message #48715] Fri, 27 January 2006 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
The Hartsfields by Classic Audio Repros are completed speakers and expensive. I don't think they offer a kit. You can build them yourself but the cabinet looks complicated and getting the drivers (375 comps and 150c woofs) would take some time.

The 7pi looks like a steal if what I read is true and it can keep up with the Hartsfields.

Thanks... [message #48717 is a reply to message #48704] Fri, 27 January 2006 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
for the invitation but I am not able to make it to the Audiofest.

Just wanted to know if I'm talking apples to apples or apples to oranges.

Re: Hartsfield DIY [message #48718 is a reply to message #48716] Fri, 27 January 2006 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
I've seen plans for the Hartsfelds and they are very complicated. Pi speakers would be much easier to buld. Hartsfelds are very cool looking though. I love the look of the diffusors on the compression driver horns.

Dave

Re: 7pi vs. JBL Hartsfield [message #48719 is a reply to message #48703] Fri, 27 January 2006 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here's my take on John Wolfe's Hartsfields:
You visit his room at a show and the music is unbelievably louder than you would ever play it for yourself but somehow you don't mind. John just sits there in a corner with a Cheshire Cat smile.
There is $40 or $50,000 worth of amplification and front end. He doesn't fiddle or tweak or talk unless you speak to him and then he's very forthcoming.
You know your ears are being harmed but you just can't leave.
Wayne, you need some Lamm or some such amplification on the 7 Pi's and no other working speakers.
Practice your Cheshire Cat smile..........

Re: 7pi vs. JBL Hartsfield [message #48720 is a reply to message #48703] Fri, 27 January 2006 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tobias is currently offline  Tobias
Chancellor
I haven't heard the 7pi's myself, but I am very interested. Below is an email response I received from someone who has heard both the CAR Hartsfields and 7Pi's, and has posted favorable comments on the 7pi's in other forums. I believe the comments were based on the 2004 Midwest Audio Fest.

"The best speakers I heard at the Midwest Audio Fest were probably the Edgarhorns; they just don't do anything wrong and are sonically competition for speakers many times their price. The most butt-shakingly fun speakers I heard were the Classic Audio Reproductions Hartsfields. I actually enjoyed them more than the Edgarhorns, even though they had obvious audible colorations and didn't image worth a damn. The third best speakers were the 7 Pi's. Very musical and engaging. I knew they were something special when, from around the corner and way out of line of sight, they sounded wonderful. Few speakers can do that - it means they're getting the reverberant field right, because from around the corner all you can possibly hear is the reverberant sound. But live instruments still sound right even from around the corner, so a speaker that gets this right is getting something important right.

The 7Pi's image better than the Hartsfields and probably have less midrange coloration - my recollection is they sounded smoother. They didn't kick butt quite like the Hartsfields, but then nothing else I know of does either.

Now I didn't hear the 7 Pi's until the very end of the show, and even then not for very long, but they sure did make a good impression on me. They sounded very good at low volume levels, and from outside the room - two things that few speakers get right and that in my experience are reliable predictors of long term enjoyment."

Re: 7pi vs. JBL Hartsfield [message #48721 is a reply to message #48719] Fri, 27 January 2006 17:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: two questions Wayne.
Next Topic: Studio 2 Pis are complete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 22 22:01:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers