Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » It all started with Akhilesh
It all started with Akhilesh [message #48637] Wed, 18 January 2006 20:29 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Was it 2 years ago that Akhilesh posted about using the Vifa DX-25 as a super-tweeter? Next thing you know it replaces the Piezo in the Studio series. Wayne obviously feels a good idea is a good idea.
I built several of those for friends. They all sounded so smooth in the treble.
I forgot all about super-tweeterdom for it. Recently I heard a ribbon with the JBL 2426 and was intrigued but unimpressed. And I have been feeling more and more lately that the Altec 902 is too recessed in the upper mids and screechy in the last octave.
The other day there was a great big box at my door: an expensive, top-loading CD player, fresh from C.E.S. to review. Listening to it is like watching one of those scrolling electronic billboards call out the strengths and weaknesses of your system.
My feelings about the Altec horn were reinforced.
Tonight I arranged the 10uF cap and 16 ohm resistor on the pair of DX-25's I had on the shelf and hooked them up.
Different or better?
First impressions are that the upper register is filled out to balance better with the incredible bass weight of this CD player. And I can play the music at higher dynamic levels without wincing at some of the treble nasties. They are of course still there but masked by the Vifa.
This being the year of the hybrid (cars and trucks) why not a hybrid horn/dome tweeter?
I like what I'm hearing. Thanks, Akhilesh. And Wayne.

Re: It all started with Akhilesh [message #48640 is a reply to message #48637] Thu, 19 January 2006 08:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How much was that top-loader? I need a CD player (have needed one for a while) but keep putting off the purchase. I'm thinking I may pull the trigger on one of the Norman Tracy units. But I always stay too busy to get focused enough to decide. What did you think of the player you reviewed? What are your favorite players?

Previous Topic: Thank You Wayne and a word of warning!
Next Topic: reconfig box .
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 16:15:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout