Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio Twos ,should I mount crossover components
Studio Twos ,should I mount crossover components [message #48540] Fri, 06 January 2006 06:13 Go to next message
drumwagon is currently offline  drumwagon
Esquire
Hey all,

The Studio Twos are comming along, the cabinets are glued up and and ready or finishing. Wow...MDF makes alot of fine dust. Thanks to multiple warning from this forum I've did all the cut outdoors.

I did a dry run of the speaker installation and began to wonder should I mount the cross over components on a board, or just let them hang free?

Re: Studio Twos ,should I mount crossover components [message #48541 is a reply to message #48540] Fri, 06 January 2006 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like to wire tie them to the cabinet brace. You can also mount a wire tie on the baffle, one of those that has an eyelet for screw mounting. Dab a bit of silicon on to hold the components in place and keep them from vibrating.

Re: Studio Twos ,should I mount crossover components [message #48543 is a reply to message #48541] Fri, 06 January 2006 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drumwagon is currently offline  drumwagon
Esquire
thanks for the advice!

Another Suggestion [message #48545 is a reply to message #48541] Fri, 06 January 2006 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I generally mount my crossovers in an external box -- I know, more work -- but it insures that the crossover parts are not affected by the pressures inside the speaker and allows me to tweak or inspect freely. Either way, enjoy 'em.

Re: Studio Twos ,should I mount crossover components [message #48546 is a reply to message #48541] Fri, 06 January 2006 21:30 Go to previous message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Some silicones emit acetic acid fumes while curing... vinegar! When closed up in a speaker box or other, these fumes can get to wiring and corrode connections. More a problem with sealed boxes than vented.

A better glue than silicone... E6000 or Alene's 7800. These are both "SBR Adhesives"... Styrene Butadyene Rubber. They are clear, much firmer than silicone, stronger, and still very slightly flexible. These glues are great for dissimilar materials, wood to metal, plastic to wood or metal, etc. It dries clear.

The solvent in the glue will attack some plastics, so test it first.

E6000 is the thickest, Alene's 7800 a little runnier, and a very thin version is sold as "Seal All". E6000 and Alene's 7800 are sold in the craft depart of Walmart, various craft and hobby stores. You may find the same material under other labels. Seal All is found in automotive departments, hardware stores, etc. This is too runny for our purpose here, mounting xover components.

It can be peeled up if need be, to change components for replacement or tweaking xovers. Best to cut through the glue with a sharp knife, then scrape off the remains with your fingernail.

With this glue I have NO fear of a heavy inductor breaking loose.

If you are going to attach the components to a brace I would advise a tywrap in addition.

Previous Topic: Efficiency of 2Pi
Next Topic: new studio two towers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 07:25:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout