Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads
Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads [message #48515] Tue, 03 January 2006 14:28 Go to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi to everybody on this great Forum (website) and to Wayne Parham in particular, from Portugal.
After reading your great paper on Speaker Motors and passive crossover filters, from http://www.pispeakers.com/Speaker_Crossover.doc, I have a few questions to pose. But most important is about the Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads you use.

1. What is a pre-compensation load? Is it the same as the R2 on a L-Pad (R1/R2)?

2. Is it possible to have a pre-compensation without the main R1 attenuation? Or is it just a reactance adjustment for the motor? (in some PA speakers I have no R1 and a R2=16.5 Ohms in shunt with the motor / X-over C=3.3uF series and I=0.72mH shunt / What x-over freq. is this and how to find if HF/Motor is of 8 Ohm impedance?)

3. Are the designs you show for L-Pads correct, since they do not show the same connections as for other (standard) L-Pads? As an example from pag.60 a 12dB attenuation R1=25, R2=16, C1=0.47 and from pag.63 a 14dB attenuation R1=30, R2=14, C1=0.33.
I am used to see R2 in shunt with the Motor and "after" R1. As an example from another site: http://www.lalena.com/audio/calculator/lpad/
For an LPad (Driver Attenuation Circuit) with Att=-12 db and Z=8 Ohms => Resistors
R1 = 5.99 Ohms
R2 = 2.68 Ohms
Or for an LPad with Att=-14 db and Z=8 Ohms => Resistors
R1 = 6.4 Ohms
R2 = 1.99 Ohms

How can your design deliver 10.8 Ohm in the HF/Motor side on the first case and 10.2 Ohms on the HF/Motor side of the X-over for the second case? Is this right? Are the BIG resistor values you use better -- as in table of page 23 -- than say the small values for 'other' L-Pads as in Lalena.com. What is the difference, are they of the same effect after all?

Congratulations and Happy New Year.
da Bastos

Re: Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads [message #48516 is a reply to message #48515] Tue, 03 January 2006 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The load on the crossover is a complex reactance. Since the loudspeaker itself is a reactive load, all passive networks share this trait. In the π crossover, there is a filter circuit comprised of R1, R2 and C1 that modifies the load as well as providing attenuation and top-octave augmentation. The components chosen set the Q of the crossover filter so that there is a flat region just above the crossover frequency before HF augmentation begins (as shown below). If you would like, you can download and investigate the circuit further with Spice.
Signal across tweeter using π crossover

Re: Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads [message #48539 is a reply to message #48516] Fri, 06 January 2006 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi and thank you very much to take from your time to answer my questions.

First, I would like to ask you what are the advantages of using the compensation circuit on the “right side” of R2 instead of the ones on the left side like the L-Pads from lalena.com and others. They seem to deliver less wattage to the speaker trough the process and to “burn more energy to the air”, if I have my two pages of numbers right and not taking in consideration reactances from the capacitor for the break frequency and the one´s from the main circuit.

Example
LPad – Driver Attenuation Circuit for –2.4 dB
R1=1.93 Ohm, R2=25.14 Ohm, Speaker=8 Ohm
For a Total of 300Watts: R1=72.4 Watt, R2=172.7 W, Speaker-54.9 W
With and after compensation on R1: R2=227.6 W, Speaker-72.4 W

With your Compensation+precompensation Circuit for –2.4 dB
R1=2.5 Ohm, R2=34 Ohm, Speaker=8 Ohm (Attenuators from page 23 of your Paper)
For a Total of 300Watts: R1=16.8 Watt, R2=229.2 W, Speaker-54 W
With and after compensation on R1: R2=243 W, Speaker-57 W

I just happened to find a site to - Calculate the resonant frequency of a capacitor and inductor - http://www.mhsoft.nl/Mysystem/Reactance.asp - that I was asking for in my first question to you. Do you think this is good/right for Hi-Fi filter calculation. Does a resistor, like the one’s on attenuations, change this (the resonant frequency) or not? I am learning on how to work w/ SPICE. Is there a website for Speaker File Spice Databases? Thanks again.

Best Regards
da Bastos

Re: Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads [message #48542 is a reply to message #48539] Fri, 06 January 2006 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The components work together to form the overall response curve. A simple speaker crossover calculator like what you might find on a website doesn't do very much, and doesn't take reactive loads into consideration. Best to keep studying AC circuits, and you'll gain a real appreciation of Spice.

Re: Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads [message #48576 is a reply to message #48542] Tue, 10 January 2006 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Dear Mr. (Wayne) Parham,

Hi. It his a pleasure to be able to ask you a question and having you ‘in person’ to answer to them. First I am learning how to work with Spice software and what a difference from 20 years ago with/when my only book (that) was >PHILIPS Building Hi-Fi Speaker Systems. Thanks to all of you guys from Berkeley. I am making such great improvements that I feel pity that I am only an unemployed architect and not a technologist engineer to find a job in this area. It seems that now everybody has a position open for engineers. At least I have time for what I like and what I can do…

Second I wanted to take in consideration that how more times I read your paper ‘Speaker motors and passive crossover filters’ there is something that doesn’t add up. Since my first question that I couldn’t find an answer.

1. On page 33 you show:

R1 3 1 5.5
R12 1 0 3.7

If the speaker is 1 – 0 your R1 should be 3 – 0 (not 3 – 1) and R12 3 – 1 and not 1 – 0. (Or Spice is right and the drawing is wrong?)

2. Again on page 35 you show:
!
L2 5 6 0.6mH
C2 5 3 16Uf
!
R1 3 1 5.5
R12 1 0 3.7
C1 3 1 5uF

If the speaker is 1 – 0, R1=> 3 – 0, R12=> should be 3 – 1 (from C2-1.st order?) and not 1 – 0. (Or the drawing is not right…)

What is confusing me is that the Pre-compensation can be connected to 1 (Motor-Speaker) or to 3 (C2 from 1.st order x-over).

Again on page 37 and page 52:

! series/parallel compensation
R1 3 1 25
R12 1 0 16
C1 3 1 0.47uF

If you noticed R1 IS OK, C1 IS OK AND R2 IS WRONG AGAIN.
Should it be R2 1 – 0 ? Or R2 3 – 0 ? With L1 from 2nd order x-over. All connections from Spice seem to be right and the x-overs drawings wrong.

If L1 is 1 – 0 (page 51) then, when you introduce a !series parallel compensation on the circuit (from page 52) 1 becomes, then, 3 from C2 (C2 => 5 – 3), C1 =>3 – 1 AND R1=> 3 – 1 (Speaker 1 – 0).

R2 is then 1 – 0 (parallel with the speaker 1 – 0). But the drawing is not showing that. What it’s showing is R2 (from)3 –(to)0 (in series with C2 (of 2nd order x-over) .

Thanks again Mr. Wayne and thank you for your time.

Best Regards

From da Bastos

Re: Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads [message #48579 is a reply to message #48576] Tue, 10 January 2006 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are lots of different complexities of models and many different crossovers shown in that document. Some model the loudspeaker as a simple series coil and resistor, others go a step further and model the mechanical resonance with a tank circuit. I'm sure with your familiarity with Spice you can tell what is what, it just takes a minute to follow it through.

Re: Pre Compensation Load on X-OVERS and L-Pads [message #48587 is a reply to message #48579] Wed, 11 January 2006 12:29 Go to previous message
Master
Hi and thanks Wayne,
…Now we can turn the lights on, with the Power from your PISPEAKERS voice coil.
Best Regards
da Bastos

Previous Topic: 7pi
Next Topic: Pro Pi4 plans please.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 07 01:19:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers