Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » tweeter review
Re: tweeter review [message #48375 is a reply to message #48367] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Hi Leland.

Like all speakers they are dependant on the drivers that are in them. Wayne offers a lot of options, and you can choose your own if you want as well. I've never heard the JBL option, but I'd bet it's great.

When I started mine were a 2 way set up with Emminence Delta 15's and the PSD2002's in them. I didn't like the sound of them after visiting Lima for the Midwest Audiofest. They weren't as clear as I wanted.

Since then I have changed to 3 way with a Klipsch K-43 15 inch in the low end, a 6.5 inch PHL 1660 for midrange, and the PSD2002 up top. I've got a Bedini preamp that allows me to biamp with an Audcom EL34 tube amp for the mids, and an old Luxman handling lows and highs. The crossovers aren't anything special and the speaker wire isn't audiophile either. In short, not exactly huge budget. In the end I would have been ahead to just upgrade to a higher quality kit of Waynes but it's been fun to play and I would have missed playing if I just bought a kit.

My favorite listening time is at night with the lights out. The sound is clear, it doesn't take a lot of amp at all, and there are so many things I hear that I don't hear through other sound sources I listen to (eg. in the car, radio at work). The sound stage isn't as good as with headphones but is quite good. With these speakers I understand how a standing wave can flatten a wall and how ultrasound can break up blood clots.

I've been in local sound shops when they are demoing speakers. Walk in on a bookshelf demo after listening to the corner horns. Good for background noise, but they have no impact.

I wouldn't use the Pi 7's in a small room or in an apartment although some people might disagree with me (anyone with a reasonably small room feel free to chime in here). The Pi 7's are definitley a pleasure to listen to.

Grant.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message