Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Does "Affordable" And "Power Amps" Fit In The Sentence????
Does "Affordable" And "Power Amps" Fit In The Sentence???? [message #48308] Thu, 24 November 2005 18:15 Go to next message
Don17 is currently offline  Don17
Chancellor
Hey Guys!!

I hope eveyone's having a great Thanksgiving with their families.I am a college student as well as a Part time sound engineer.
I have a custom-built JBL sound system that requires tri-amping with an external electronic crossover. I've been looking all over for a good amp that packs plenty of power, and at the same time, is affordable enough to buy 3 or 4 units to get the speakers powered up.
I am deeply troubled because I have stumbled upon the Berhringer EP 2500 power amplifire (500wx2@8ohms, 750wx2@4ohms, 1200wx2@2ohms). It seems very powerful and affordable too. I'm tempted to buy it, but i want to make sure that it would be a good investment to have my sound company start out with. I just want to know what your opinions are as far as this amp goes.

Thanks in advance!
-Don

Re: Does "Affordable" And "Power Amps" Fit In The Sentence???? [message #48309 is a reply to message #48308] Thu, 24 November 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Hi Don,
I have one of these, and I'm no pro, but I can say that many people on the rec.audio.pro news group accept these are decent low end (as pro equipment goes) amps. No real problems reported. The one I have will certainly drive loud and clean. A guy I trust doesn't recommend 2 ohm stereo, 4 ohm bridged loads, so consider that. They are comparable to QSC RMX2400's.
Chris

Re: Does "Affordable" And "Power Amps" Fit In The Sentence???? [message #48310 is a reply to message #48309] Fri, 25 November 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
You DON'T need the same power amps all of the system.

For example, if your woofer amps are 100 w/ch, your mid amps could be 30 w/ch, and tweeter amps could be 10 w/ch... and your woofer amp would still clip before your tweeter amp.

90% of the power in music is below 500 hz... or more.

Re: Does "Affordable" And "Power Amps" Fit In The Sentence???? [message #48311 is a reply to message #48310] Fri, 25 November 2005 15:02 Go to previous message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Here is an excellent paper on biamplification explaining the distribution of power, why smaller amps can be used for the upper frequencies.

http://www.hometheateraudiocontrol.com/FAQ_detail.asp?id=1666

"Crossovers and Biamplification"

also

http://www.hometheateraudiocontrol.com/FAQ_detail.asp?id=1667

"Crossover Networks from A to Linkwitz-Rielly"

Previous Topic: midhorn plans
Next Topic: plans for studio towers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 18:40:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects