Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two Tower initial impressions
Re: Steve Browns tranny choice [message #48262 is a reply to message #48248] Sun, 20 November 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Akhilesh has a pair of James output transformers in a custom 45 amp he owns. They look and sound very nice, and I understand they don't cost much either.

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48265 is a reply to message #48258] Sun, 20 November 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
How did you glue up the veneer? And was it raw or backed?

Re: Steve Browns tranny choice [message #48266 is a reply to message #48262] Sun, 20 November 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Here's that amp the Pete Millett used James' on.

Re: Steve Browns tranny choice [message #48269 is a reply to message #48266] Sun, 20 November 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's good lookin', I dig it. The James transformers look the same as those used on Akhilesh's amp.

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48278 is a reply to message #48265] Mon, 21 November 2005 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
I started using carpenter's glue... that didn't go well because I only have four clamps and a big piece of plywood to sandwich the veneer and I am certain I needed more... so for the rest of the project I used contact cement.. all of my bubles came after applying latex shallac over contact cement backed veneer. Speaking of veneer, I used the raw variety. Looking back I'll never use raw veneer again (although it was way cheaper compared to paper backed ones) and would need way more clamps... someone told me later that I also needed a roller to apply on the veneer when matting to the clued surface.
Bill, would you have any other suggestions?

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48279 is a reply to message #48259] Mon, 21 November 2005 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Shane, have you tried position the speaker along a long wall? Looking at your picture you have a window and a short wall which may explain for the lack of bass. Or put it another way, have you tried replacing the 2 Pis with your Polks in the same spot? And do you get the same results? Just a suggestion.

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48280 is a reply to message #48278] Mon, 21 November 2005 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
As you found out, contact adhesive is deadly with un-backed veneer.
You shouldn't have to pay more than $55-60 dollars for paper backed common species 4'x8'.
2 very important methods are: cover the previously veneered edge the bearing will ride on with 3M Blue tape so the glue doesn't contaminate the veneer. It also keeps the cutter the thickness of the tape away from the previous edge and then you just trim and sand down flush.
The other is to press down the veneer with a block of pine; a piece of 2x4 long enough to grip with both hands is perfect. Rubber J-Roller doesn't exert enough pressure. Work from the center out to the edges and press down until flat. Use enough force so that you can see the veneer being 'burnished' by the wood block. Use both hands. Remove the 'burnish' with a light sanding with 220 grit paper
Then wait 24 hours before applying any finish.
Contact adhesive never really dries so it may still be possible to work out some of the bubbles.
I never use water-based finishes. Save the water for Scotch and water.

speaker placement [message #48281 is a reply to message #48279] Mon, 21 November 2005 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Well, here is the layout of the room. Unfortunately where the Pi's are is where they will have to go. I put the Polks in somewhat of the same position and the lower bass was definitely less, mid-bass the same which is to be expected. Moving the Pi's closer to the back wall helped tremendously, especially at the lower volumes I tend to listen at and I am quite happy with them now. The only consequence to this is that the bass gets a tad boomy when you really press the Pi's, but that is such an infrequent situation that I'm not concerned. When the kids are a little older and more responsible they will probably get moved to the living room (huge--20x30' with 10' cathedral ceiling--at least where we are renting now)

Re: speaker placement [message #48282 is a reply to message #48281] Mon, 21 November 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ok. I guess where you have is the best there is under the circumstances...
I could not help but to suggest the thought of moving the Pis temporary to the living room just for kicks, but then I am afraid you won't want to place the speakers back to your bedroom afterwards;-)

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48283 is a reply to message #48280] Mon, 21 November 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Bill, thanks for the suggestions.
Here in the great white North, the price for a 4x8 backed veneer was $119 Canadian... which I saw at a woodcraft place, maybe I am not looking in the right places.
When you mentioned that one can also use a 2x4 piece of pine to push the veneer down, are you also squeezing the glue out underneath the veneer as well? Or is this a light pressure press?

Previous Topic: request for 2 pi bass reflex plans
Next Topic: Request for wooden HF horn plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 07:26:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout