Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two Tower initial impressions
Re: Them's fghtin' words! [message #48241 is a reply to message #48240] Fri, 18 November 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's my thinking, too.

I liked Royal Cable so much I bought the entire stock [message #48244 is a reply to message #48234] Fri, 18 November 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I cleared the local Wal Mart Super Center out. I ended up with about 15 rolls of the 14 and 16 ga. Yeah, as you can assume I was pretty impressed with its performance in my system (Cayin integrated and Altec A7s.)....Colin

Re: Steve Browns tranny choice [message #48247 is a reply to message #48226] Sat, 19 November 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Steve used James transformers in his 300B's. New name to me. He says James used to work for Tamura and the prices are quite reasonable. Check with Steve.

Re: Steve Browns tranny choice [message #48248 is a reply to message #48247] Sat, 19 November 2005 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks.

Seems like Pete Millett used some James' in one of his amps. I know I've seen them in some amp designs somewhere. I'll check them out, though I'll probably just start with something inexpensive like the Hammond 125ESE's to get a feel for building, then I can always upgrade the OPT's to better ones if the amp design is promising.

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48251 is a reply to message #48214] Sat, 19 November 2005 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
Congrats Shane! Now that I've been listening to my 2 pi Towers for several weeks I can say that there is more bass than when I first put it together, but not that much more.
I am using them for stereo listening and am definately very happy with the speaker.

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48252 is a reply to message #48251] Sat, 19 November 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Norbert, glad to hear it! I really can't wait to get mine completely finished, but it will definitely be spring before that happens. I think a lot of my problem may be due to the front baffle at this point and the new (read--different sounding to me)system I have. I did move the cabinets a little closer to the back wall today (from about 6" to 3")and the lower bass noticeably improved to the point I am well satisfied with it. I had to diddle with the amount of toe-in to bring the imaging back into alignment, but that is to be expected. You wouldn't think that moving them 3" would make that much difference, but it sure did!

Bill--question on cables, [message #48253 is a reply to message #48238] Sat, 19 November 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill, I had posted about IC's a while back and I remember you saying what you were using, but I've lost the email. I was thinking about making some DIY with PTFE 22Ga stranded Ag plated Cu and some with PTFE 22Ga standed silver just to see if I could hear any difference.

Re: Hey Steve Brown, about those IC's? [message #48255 is a reply to message #48253] Sun, 20 November 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just use the blue AR IC's you get at Best Buy. They're shielded and, I think, neutral. What else could you ask for?
Steve and I talked cables a bit yesterday and he mentioned a Gary Pimm DIY design using Litz wire. I googled for it but can't find any info.

I have the original Homegrown silver coated copper braid unshielded which are a little bright. I've built Kevin Haskins version of the Risch Belden co-ax cross connect which were just OK. I see on his site that he has finished cross connect with Cardas Litz wire for $85. The only truly outstanding cable I have experience with is the 1985 vintage Straightwire I use from phono to pre-amp. It's thin and shielded so must be a small gauge and the RCA looks like all of that era, i.e. no gold, no silver no locking or other doo-dads.

Now if you want to talk speaker cable............

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48258 is a reply to message #48252] Sun, 20 November 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
Shane, I can believe it...speaker placement is another variable that can change the sound coming out of the speakers. Have you tried placing the speakers near a corner? I am quite sure it will futher increase bass coming out of the speakers.
When you are ready to veneer your speakers, I would suggest that you do lots of research and seek experienced help, if you haven't done it before...Speaking from personal experience, my veneering job was the only part of my speaker project that gave me some grief. If you plan on veneering the back and bottom of your speakers (I spray painted the back and bottom of my speakers)you may want to start with that first to gain some experience, including staining/shallacing... What may turn out to be a good veneering job can be nulled when the stain is applied such as in my case - I started to see air bubbles coming out of the veneer. It is ok now and no one can tell sitting 5, 10 feet away. I still enjoy the sound and that is all that matters. Cheers.

Re: Two Tower initial impressions [message #48259 is a reply to message #48258] Sun, 20 November 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Norbert, here is a picture of what I have to work with. They are in a corner so to speak, but then there is an opening, then a wall to the right where the stereo rack is. Same situation from the left.

I've spent a lot of time with my Polks getting them placed just right so I know how important placement can be. You just wouldn't think it would make the HUGE improvement that it did.

I've never veneered, but I've finished many, many wood projects from homemade Cherokee style bows, to furniture, to wood carvings. So I'm not worried about that. Just the actual application of veneer is a little troublesome, but it will turn out fine I'm sure.

Previous Topic: request for 2 pi bass reflex plans
Next Topic: Request for wooden HF horn plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 07:29:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout