Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Woofer Tester 2
Woofer Tester 2 [message #48184] Mon, 14 November 2005 11:36 Go to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
Anyone know anything about the Dayton Woofer Tester 2 (part # 390-802) sold by Parts Express? Does it work? Is it worth the money?

Re: Woofer Tester 2 [message #48185 is a reply to message #48184] Mon, 14 November 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've heard good things about the Parts Express speaker tester, but I haven't used it. If I need to measure electro-mechanical parameters, here's how I do it:
Re: Woofer Tester 2 [message #48187 is a reply to message #48184] Mon, 14 November 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimlg is currently offline  jimlg
Esquire
I have one of the woofer tester 2's and find it very easy to use. I have no way to prove its accuracy than that the designs I have made using the data have turned out quite well. The data it has given me does match up with the data given by speaker companies known to report accurate figures. The VAS data test does require that you either have coins or a way to produce a known exact weight. It also allows you to save info in a folder, and gives a nice printable data sheet.

Re: Woofer Tester 2 [message #48189 is a reply to message #48187] Mon, 14 November 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I use a cabinet of known proportions to measure Vas with. Much easier for me than all them weights on the cone.

I have found the WT2 to be pretty accurate for a inexpensive device.

Ron

Re: Woofer Tester 2 [message #48190 is a reply to message #48185] Mon, 14 November 2005 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
Yeah, I like your method. Except I don't have a signal generator, an oscilloscope, or a selaed box of know volume that can accept a wide range of drivers.

I think I've found some signal generator software, but the tester seemed to be the quick and easy way (Yoda would be soooo disappointed). Also, getting the Vas values seemed to require quite a bit of through away work. Is there another way to calculate Vas without the need to build a sealed box of known volume, including driver volume?

Re: Woofer Tester 2 [message #48192 is a reply to message #48190] Mon, 14 November 2005 16:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think that little tester is probably a pretty good deal. I just have had all the equipment, the scopes, meters, signal generators and what-not since the 1970's, so I'm comfortable using them. Oscilloscopes and meters aren't really all that great for acoustic measurements, but they're good for electrical measurements. They're really all you need to measure electro-mechanical parameters.

You can measure Vas using a sealed box or added mass. You won't need a box for the added mass method. I used to approximate compliance with another method, but both the sealed box and added mass measurements are more accurate.

Previous Topic: Great Plains Audio Club meeting
Next Topic: 9pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 12:25:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout