Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi Towers - WOW
2Pi Towers - WOW [message #48012] Sat, 15 October 2005 22:30 Go to previous message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
Wow, this was my first comment after hearing my 2 Pi Towers come alive after spending many hours building it.

Like many other people before me who wasn't so sure how the speakers would sound after it is all said and done one could not help but have some doubts. I was no different... Now that I have completed building my 2 Pi's I am sure the many hours I spent buiding this DIY speaker project was well worth it. Thanks to Wayne and many other posters on this forum who provided valuable information along the way whether you knew it or not.

Below is my speaker bio:

Budget:
roughly $550 Canadian

Construction:
3/4 MDF, 2 window braces per speaker, plus many wooden L wooden braces at every corner, Mahogany wood veneer, my front baffle is on the short side (13 inches), autobody bondo on every outside corner (to seal exposed MDF and streghten speaker outside corners), rear port: 4-1/2 inches (I missed the fine print in the documentation - perhaps open to 4-5/8 dia next year?)

Listening observation:
This speaker has a huge sound stage, and a forward sound. Compared to my Axion MT60i it is like hearing Diana Krall in front of the stage as opposed to the back of the stage with the MT60i.
The MT60i has more base. Speaking of the base, I was expeding it would sound booming due to its size, but it didn't. Initially, I had the R-13 insulation on the rear baffle, one side, and on top of the two window braces and not on the top side. The speaker had very little base and after listening for several minutes my ears hurt a little. I next installed insulation on the top side of the speaker and noticed there is more base and my ears didn't hurt anymore. Wow..
Question: After reading what others have said about insulation placement is there a big difference with the sound if the insulation is placed on the rear side versus the front side? Furthermore, my rear port is 1/8 too small will it impact my base response in a big way? I am really not looking forward to increasing its diameter if I can avoid it;-)
I am driving the speakers with a Marantz 2252 receiver and can say that there is no need to have a high powered amp with these speakers. As a matter of fact, these speakers feels at home in a large room. I don't think they will do well in an apartment sized room...

Photos: Wayne, I can email you the pictures is you like.

Overall, I can confidently say the 2Pi Towers is comparable to brand named speakers costing at least two times more. Wayne, thanks for the design! I have the whole Winter to listen to them until something else catches my attention

Norbert

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message