Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mid-Horn Dimensions
Mid-Horn Dimensions [message #47890] Thu, 06 October 2005 08:49 Go to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
How would the sound dispersion be affected by changes in the width/height relationship of the mid-horn? I was thinking about going more square while keeping the area constant from throat to flair. I've seen klipsche use square horns, but most seem to be rectangular. Obviously the system was designed to have a rectangular horn for a reason, but I'd like to know how changes in the aspect ratio wil affect the sound. I'm thinking about building them that way to fit the overall design I have in mind.

Re: Mid-Horn Dimensions [message #47893 is a reply to message #47890] Thu, 06 October 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The flare angle of a conical horn basically sets the pattern. At low frequencies, the horn becomes too small to control the pattern, but above that, it's set by the wall angle.

Re: Mid-Horn Dimensions [message #47903 is a reply to message #47893] Fri, 07 October 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
????

Wall angle?

So, if I maintain the flare angle, the aspect ratio is irrelevent?

Re: Mid-Horn Dimensions [message #47905 is a reply to message #47903] Fri, 07 October 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The mouth area sets the lowest frequency where pattern control is maintained. A horn that is larger in one dimension than the other loses pattern control on the smaller axis sooner than the larger one. If the mouth area is large enough, pattern control can be maintained throughout the passband of the device. But that takes a very large mouth, and is usually one of the tradeoffs in horn design.

Re: Mid-Horn Dimensions [message #47909 is a reply to message #47905] Fri, 07 October 2005 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Ok, so keeping the flare angle and final area teh same as the original design (this is for the mid-horn on the pi-7, btw) is important, but I may loose some pattern control with the narrower horizontal dimension. Is that correct? Hmmm...its all about compromises, isn't it? There is no free ride.

So if I've got this right, I would probably loose some stereo imaging with a square horn rather than a rectangular horn.

Re: Mid-Horn Dimensions [message #47911 is a reply to message #47909] Sat, 08 October 2005 02:16 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A square horn loses pattern control in both axis at the same frequency. That's fine, but if you want a 90º horizontal pattern, then a square horn would have 90º vertical pattern too. I don't want that much energy in the vertical plane because it is a waste of energy, directed at the floor and ceiling. Reducing the pattern in the vertical plane reduces floor and ceiling reflections too.

Previous Topic: Listening results with Theater 4 variation
Next Topic: stands
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 19 16:16:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout