Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » No more sandboxes, no more 45 degrees
No more sandboxes, no more 45 degrees [message #47746] Mon, 19 September 2005 20:34 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had the speakers on sandboxes to overcome the boomy bass from my trampoline floors. They worked well and also cleaned up the muddiness in the mids.
I moved the whole set-up from the long wall to the short a few months ago, in the corners at exactly 45 degrees and firing out the 30 foot length. I liked the image breadth and depth but as amplification improved I detected things I didn't like: missing 'presence'.
Spent some time with Speakerman on Sathurday and he had a set-up going that was truly awesome. 902's on Edgars over PiPro type 2226's.
It occured to me that part of the success was due to his narrow room and sitting against the long wall. There's a sense of 'air' and performers in the room that you don't get on the short wall. Thinking back, I noticed the same thing at ColinHesters house for the same reasons. His room is bigger but you sit against the wall.
So I got up early Sunday morning and moved furniture. Even trashed some stuff.
Now the Speakers are 12" out from the wall and eight feet apart. 45 degree placement makes the 902 drivers on-axis beaming shrill so thye're now toed in about 10 degrees.You get all the detail of the 902's without the over emphasised treble.
The 'air' and performer-in-the-room is there in spades.
The wall they're on now is a fire-wall and the adjacent townhouse has a concrete floor. Good chance the trampoline situation is gone, says I. I tried without the sandboxes and got a great bass and mid-range. Put the sandboxes in the mix and the sound went dead.
I thought maybe the 3" rise was the culprit but I sat up on an extra cushion and no good. Took'm away and the sparkle and deep, articulate bass was back.
This is really good sound. The AudioNote amp just wants to sing and the 902's are the best horn drivers I've yet heard.
There are so many variables. It get's frustrating at times but then the reward is even better.
Speakerman comes through once again.
Been listening for hours.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Stage 4's
Next Topic: sub plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 26 03:16:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects