Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Audiophile Series seven π
Re: 4 π upgrading to 7π [message #47622 is a reply to message #47621] Wed, 31 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beto1 is currently offline  beto1
Baron
O.K., thanks again.
So in this way we have the following systems that shared components on 4 and 7 model:
Stage: Omega 15
Premium:
Kilomax 15
Pro Series:
JBL 2226
so the next question will be obvious: which one will be the best match to the AN Kit one? Which driver have the best detail, bass extention, soundstage, etc with a 300B SET amp?
Can I supose that the expensive driver the better sound in this enclosure?(and room size).
Thank you again in advance.
Sorry about this lot of questions but I have never hear an Eminence driver before.
Regards,
Alberto

Re: 4 π upgrading to 7π [message #47623 is a reply to message #47622] Wed, 31 August 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Of those, only the JBL 2226 has a shorting ring. Naturally, it is the one that sounds the best. The Eminence Magnums also have shorting rings and they sound great too. But you can only use them up to a few hundred Hertz so they need to be in a three-way speaker like the seven π's.

I also really like the Stage four π and seven π speakers, using the Omega 15. It is a very powerful and clean woofer, even without a shorting ring. Since you're only going to be driving it with 10 watts, the woofer is going to be loafing along. That will keep distortion way down.

The Premium Series four π and seven π speakers use the Kilomax 15. It is best when you're going to be using a little more power. It sounds great at moderate and low levels too, and some prefer it. But it is made for all-out power and I think it trades maybe a bit of lower level detail refinement for maximum output capabilities.

JBL & LOW POWER SET [message #47637 is a reply to message #47623] Thu, 01 September 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
thank you for the 4 pro model plans. I am little concern about a review (Ken Schwarz)on the online shop. This customer says that JBL woofer sounds thin and lacks bass with a low powered SET amp but very good with a more watts push pull amp. One of the things that I want a high eff speaker is to get full, rich, detailed, textured, etc sound. My 300B amp only delivers 7 or 8 beautiful watts so, because this is the expensive driver on the list, I will be very sure. My purchase will be based on your and other experienced comments only. On the other hand I want the cleanest, low distortion and articulated sound, so I don't mind if I have to spend a few bucks more for the JBL if I can get what I want. I know what I can expect from the Omega 15, Kilomax 15 and if I I will go directly for the audiophile 7, with the Magnum 15 or 18, but I'm still a little confuss with the JBL 2226 (I will get the Eminence tweeter).
Thank you again,
Alberto

JBL & amp design [message #47639 is a reply to message #47623] Thu, 01 September 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
I have read lots of forum post about the SET low power and JBL 2226 driver and now I know that this will work very well with some SET's amps but depends on the amp design (damping factor, impedance, etc). So, the question is about the Audio Note Kit One 300B SET(running at 420 volts with 75mA current), directly heated, no negative feedback, class A, works with the JBL's. I supose that The KIt One is similar in the low output impedance with the Kit 2, but with a little less output watts. On the paper this will design will give 9 or10 watt, but I prefer to asume only 7 or 8 watts to be conservative.
I don't know if I need to provide more specifications for the kit one, like the exact damping factor, but surely I can get this info with Brian, the AN kit seller.
Thank you again.
Alberto

Re: JBL & LOW POWER SET [message #47641 is a reply to message #47637] Thu, 01 September 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ken's speakers use the JBL 2227, which has more rising response than the 2226. Also, the Audio Note amps are full in the bass, so you'll find it a very good combination. I'd suggest the 2226 if you can afford it. The Omega 15 is a good choice too, at about 1/3rd the cost. The Magnum 15HO is probably the best for performance/dollars, but only if you can run it as a three-way.

Re: JBL & amp design [message #47642 is a reply to message #47639] Thu, 01 September 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Audio Note amps work very well with these speakers. You'll certainly not want for bass with this combination.

THANK YOU , WAYNE!!! [message #47649 is a reply to message #47641] Fri, 02 September 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne,
thank you very much for your answers.
Best regards,
Alberto
P.S. By the way, Stage four cabinet (Omega 15) it's the same that the Pro four (JBL)?

Re: THANK YOU , WAYNE!!! [message #47652 is a reply to message #47649] Fri, 02 September 2005 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The cabinet is the same, but the crossover is a little different. The crossovers share many common parts though, so one can be modified to make the other pretty easily.

SUMMARY 2 [message #47655 is a reply to message #47652] Sat, 03 September 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi,
so, depends on my budget, the final solution will be the four pro model, first, or the four stage. Then, when I can get the corner situation, upgrading to the seven pi model. On both, with Eminence compression driver. But, as I have read, also the Altec 802 or 902 will be a perfect match (like Bill speakers). Maybe I can get some good pair here.
One though comes to my mind: can I build the four model, but with the mid woofer and the tweeter and on a diferent cabinet the Eminence Magnum 15 or 18, all in bass reflex arrange? Does anyone do this design? Just though.
Also, I wonder if there is some more detailed plans (construct details)?
Thanks a lot,
Beto

Re: SUMMARY 2 [message #47660 is a reply to message #47655] Sat, 03 September 2005 21:52 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, you can run the Magnum in a reflex cabinet with a direct radiating mid and tweeter. There are many very nice drivers that would work well in this kind of system.

Previous Topic: Ping: ColinHester
Next Topic: Anyone have comments on the Stage four Pi or pictures of finished Pi's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 21:19:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio