Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mid-horn "Chamber"
Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47556] Thu, 25 August 2005 12:13 Go to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
I have a question about the mid-horn enclosure for the 7-pi Studio. I am going to try to set up the construction to allow for some horizontal angle adjustments, but that feature may require that the mid-horn enclosure be modified for clearance when placing into the corner. What are the restrictions associated with modifiying the mid-horn enclosure? Size, depth, height, width. Obviously the driver itself and the horn "flare" dimensions are a limiting factor, but are there other restrictions to consider?

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47557 is a reply to message #47556] Thu, 25 August 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That one's going to be easy for you. The midhorn rear chamber was designed to be open, and so must be larger than 0.5ft3.

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47559 is a reply to message #47556] Thu, 25 August 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As I recall when I first asked a similar question about the mid horn
was that it just had to be at least 1/2 cubic foot. ( I dont think it is possible for you to make it any smaller) apparently it isnt that critical about size. More to prevent a back wave off the rear of the driver then reflecting out of the corner and messing with the sound off the front of the horn. Is that about right wayne? Hope this helps.

Russellc

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47560 is a reply to message #47557] Thu, 25 August 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Ok, so I can basically use any configuration as long as I don't restrict the volume to less than 0.5 cu.ft.? Open, sealed, short, narrow, wide, deep, anything?

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47561 is a reply to message #47557] Thu, 25 August 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
This actually brings up another question. Can the high freq horn be in the same enclosure without negative effects? I was thinking about going upwards and using the space that would be taken up by the high freq horn enclosure.

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47562 is a reply to message #47560] Thu, 25 August 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, with one qualification. The rear chamber should be acoustically inert. If the rear chamber is a sealed chamber over 0.5ft3, then it won't peak in the passband. But if it were shaped in such a way that it became a tuned pipe or something, that might alter response. So consider this and keep the shape and dimensions within reason. I don't think you'l have any trouble for what you're doing.

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47563 is a reply to message #47561] Thu, 25 August 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, as long as the volume and Helmholtz frequency are right.

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47565 is a reply to message #47563] Thu, 25 August 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Helmholtz frequency?

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47566 is a reply to message #47562] Thu, 25 August 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
What I was thinking is that I could use the same enclosure for the high and mid horns, essentially making a taller enclosure for the mid-horn so that I can pull the sides in a bit for left/right clearance. I don't want to make it very long because then I lose range of motion due to a long tail sticking out the back.

Of course, without looking at the detailed plans, there may be very little I can do because of the real estate taken up by a 10" driver sitying behind a horn. It may already be as small as it can be.

Re: Mid-horn "Chamber" [message #47569 is a reply to message #47565] Thu, 25 August 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's the frequency the box is tuned to, set by its size and port dimensions. If you're talking about displacing some area in the bass bin to contain everything in the same cabinet, you'll want to make sure the tuning remains the same.

Previous Topic: 66x24x36
Next Topic: 75 watts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 12:24:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout