Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Can this be done?
Re: "The three horns..." [message #47519 is a reply to message #47518] Sat, 20 August 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jerrod Harden is currently offline  Jerrod Harden
Baron
Hi Bill,

It certainly is a balancing act. It took me a long time to get it right in my head. I knew I didn't want to pad the midhorn, that was the opposite of where I was trying to go. So the midhorns are run wide open with only the inductor flattening the response. The 2426J's are padded 4 db to match the midhorns and crossed at 1.6K, 3rd order. The 2404H's are crossed at 20K, 1st order. The trio makes a solid 106 db/1w and measure very well across the combined bandwidth. The most suprising part is how well the midhorns blend with the 100 db woofer section. I had to crossover the woofers much lower than anticipated to get flat response, but it measures spot on and sounds amazing. The AudioControl Richter Scale III helped out a great deal with this. It works great to smooth out the response, but I would only use the active crossover to perform low pass function. Believe it or not the woofers are crossed electronically at 90 hz, 4th order and the midhorn/woofer crossover region actually sums flat.

I'm anxious to see how your sytem evolves. Please keep us updated.

Regards,
Jerrod

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message