Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Active xover's
Active xover's [message #47406] Thu, 28 July 2005 05:13 Go to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

With active xover's you have to pay attention to ohm's of the driver.

With actives you don't. I'm assuming they automatically correct somehow or are they set for 8 ohm and aren't true for other impedences?

Thanks in advance.

Grant.

Re: Active xover's [message #47407 is a reply to message #47406] Thu, 28 July 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

Opps. Change the

"With active xover's you have to pay attention to ohm's of the driver."

to

"With passive xover's you have to pay attention to ohm's of the driver."

Thanks,

Grant.

Re: Active xover's [message #47408 is a reply to message #47407] Thu, 28 July 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
Hi Grant- an active crossover splits the signal into frequency bands before the output amplifiers. The impedence of the drivers od not directly affect the crossover frequency, as in passive crossovers.

However, driver impedence is inversely proportional to output (with solid state amps)- the 8 ohm power output of a power amp is about 1/2 of what the 4 ohm output is- 16 ohm would be half of what the 8 ohm rating is.

As a practical matter, you can use the gain controls on the amp or crossover to balance outputs and levels so the result is acceptable.

Figure no more than 4 ohms for any driver (or combination of drivers) and most any amp will be happy.

Larry Acklin

Re: Active xover's I hate typos [message #47409 is a reply to message #47408] Thu, 28 July 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron

The impedence of the drivers DO not directly affect the...

Figure NO LESS than 4 ohms for any driver...

Re: Active xover's [message #47410 is a reply to message #47408] Thu, 28 July 2005 14:19 Go to previous message
Viscount

Thanks for the response Larry.

I understand it now I think. With freqency division only a certain range makes it to the amp. If you mixed 4 and 8 ohms one amp would work harder as a result of it. As long as you use integrated amps you can adjust.

Thanks again.

Grant.

Previous Topic: LT250 Horn Flare?
Next Topic: Hornsub shootout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 00:48:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers