Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers.
Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47147 is a reply to message #47141] Fri, 17 June 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Shane. I use Waynes Pi 4's daily and I believe they are one of the best deals in Audio. I will also say I believe Wayne has voiced these speakers for use with solid state amps. Now that doesn't mean they don't sound good with tubes because they do; but they shine with really good class A SS amps.
The Pi 2's I have not heard but am told there is a strong family resemblence so I will base my comments concerning the Seduction and Amplifier choices on the 4's.
You asked about the Seduction. I use mine with a Linn LP 12 and a Denon DL 103 or the Empire MC Gold. The Seduction works very well in that combination and my suggestion; it is the best deal in phono stages and you should buy it and build it, you won't be sad.
Your Project is fine, I don't know which cart you use but I would upgrade the cart before the table.
Amps for the Pi's. If you like DIY then it's tubes or SS.
The Pi's love solid state so for DIY I would suggest the Pass clone or the Hiraga 20 watt class A SS. I had the loan of a Threshold Stasis amp; 50 watt class A SS; it so loved the Pi's I wanted to keep it.
You can get those amps used for about 650$.
Tube Kits; this is tough. There are many available, they all sound good but they all sound different. Before I would pay over 550$ for a kit I would think long and hard. The kit I am using is designed by Roy Mottram and uses Hammond transformers PP EL 84 circuit; it's easy to build and I like the sound on the Pi's. It runs about 400$ and there is not an amp kit near that price that will improve on the sound.
There are lots of oriental amp kits out there that run in the 600/700$ range and don't really sound any better.
If you are handy and can build a chassis; it's a no brainer, the Eiclones are unbeatable at those prices. It is however a real project; but even using expensive Magnequest transformers it's pretty easy to build and runs about 500$ for the pair of mono-blocks. Those are in a different league than the oriental kits.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message