Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Project JBL
Re: Project JBL [message #47055 is a reply to message #47048] Sat, 04 June 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, a single 2226 is fairly amazing, with two you should have lots of air moving. I look at the JBL 18 inchers, I will probably snag a pair of these some day and install them in the bottom of my A7s and seal off the lower reflex from the mid horn like several do on the Altec users forum. Of course this will require a 3 way crossover, electronic for my purposes. More complicated wiring, etc.

Regards,
Russellc

Re: Project JBL - 2012 vs 2123 mid horn? [message #47056 is a reply to message #47053] Sat, 04 June 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swett is currently offline  swett
Baron
Thanks, that makes sense. I couldn't find anyone selling the 2012 used, but if its the new model, that would make sense.

I'm trying to do the same thing you are, though I did end up buying the 2226's used, not the 2225's. I bought the 2425's from Bill Martinelli and I found some used 2123's for a good price, so hopefully I'll be able to buy those as well.

I couldn't afford or justify new JBL parts, and a perk of buying used is that you can use them for a while and could resell them for about what you bought them for.

-Ian

Re: Project JBL - 2012 vs 2123 mid horn? [message #47059 is a reply to message #47052] Sat, 04 June 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I didn't measure the midhorn with the 2123, so I can't say for sure. The 2012 rolls off pretty early, and response is clean. It sums nicely with the crossover as shown in the plans. I would guess the 2123 would act like the 2012, but it might be more like the Delta 10, which has more output above 2kHz. This is determined largely by the dustcap.

The thing to watch is HF behavior, and the crossover between midhorn and tweeter will be determined by it. Most start to rolloff between 1kHz and 2kHz and the trick is to match this with the tweeter so that summing on and off axis is good.

Re: Project JBL - 2123 spec sheet [message #47062 is a reply to message #47059] Sat, 04 June 2005 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Here's the 2123's spec sheet: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2123.pdf

The frequency curve isn't exactly a measurement, but from comparing this with the 2012's, it does appear they both drop dramatically around 5k, so the 2123 is probably a good substitute, though JBL claims the 2012 is an improvement over the old driver.

-Ian

Re: Project JBL - 2012 is better for horns.. [message #47098 is a reply to message #47053] Sat, 11 June 2005 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I was looking around at both of these, and it appears that the 2012 is a better candidate for a midrange horn, because of its gradually rising response.

The 2123 should be quite flat without a horn, so its probably best used as a direct radiator, and is not an exact substitute for the 2012.

-Ian

Re: Project JBL - 2012 is better for horns.. [message #47100 is a reply to message #47098] Sun, 12 June 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I just got it because it works fine, regardless of what graphs show. It was specified for the 7Pi Audiophile model, which in fact was a direct radiator. Mainly, I selected it because of the cost of the new jbl 2012. Wayne has assured me I couldn't tell the difference, which should be slight, and that the 2123 is an excellent choice. I don't know if jbl changed there measuring proceedures between the old and the new, but I notice slight differences between them, including the 2425 and the 2426, which people tell me are identicle. Again, there is certainly nothing wrong with either choice, and no sonic difference will be detected. slight differences such as these, while measureable in a sound chamber, will be dwarfed by room interaction. Myself, I'm not convinced a gradually rising response is a good thing, with non horn speakers it has been my experience it always complicates the crossover design. Even if it appears to better match the high freq. unit, Proper crossover should make it a non issue. Again, I also feel the differences between the drivers is so slight (except for price) it doesn't require adjustment. High efficiency speakers have a tendency to shout already. If money were no object, I would go with the new driver from Wayne. Email wayne for his thoughts. either jbl driver will be superior to the other eminence and so forth "stock" drivers, which truth be told probably would work just as successfully as either JBL.
I never found 2012 used, and the new price put it out of budget for me.
the 2123 is legendary and has been used in alls sorts of applications, from direct to horn most successfully. I'm sure you will be happy with 2012 as would I if I could afford the blasted thing!

Regards,
Russellc

Re: Project JBL - 2012 is better for horns.. [message #47101 is a reply to message #47100] Sun, 12 June 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You know, looking at Wayne's response above, he sounds like he is saying that the 2012 is the flatter one, and states that the 2123 has "more output above 2000" ?

Whatever, once I get the cabinets I'll post if there are any crossover abnormalities at the crossover point to the compression driver. I'm sure other "budget concerned" individuals have wondered about this. I'm sur the 2012 will be spot on as it was the driver intended for this design.

Russellc

I can't afford the 2012 either :) [message #47102 is a reply to message #47100] Sun, 12 June 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Everything I've read says the 2123 is a great driver and I'm still trying to get a pair, I just wanted to give you an FYI, about the slight differences between the two response curves. Close enough, but not identical.

I'm still deciding on my midrange. If I can, I may just use a pair of 2123's in direct radiator mode. If I can't find any 2123's for a reasonable price, I'm considering Wayne's Delta midrange and Adrian Mack's Alpha midrange.

I've never seen any 2012's used either. They are 10 years old now, so you'd think some people would have extra, but maybe people really like them?

-Ian

Re: Project JBL - 2012 is better for horns.. [message #47106 is a reply to message #47101] Mon, 13 June 2005 15:11 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't used the 2123 in the midhorn, so I don't know. Upper frequency response in the midhorn is largely determined by dust cap stiffness and shape, and its hard to tell how it will act just by the direct radiator response curve. If there were no compression plate, you could probably estimate it but once there is a compression plate and/or phase plug, interactions become more complex.

Previous Topic: Pi-cornerhorns versus Klipschhorn
Next Topic: thanks wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 02:14:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout