Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 10" midhorn, x-over, bad english
10" midhorn, x-over, bad english [message #46761] Tue, 26 April 2005 18:57 Go to next message
Karl-Heinrich vom Dahl is currently offline  Karl-Heinrich vom Dahl
Esquire
Hello from germany,

first, i`am so sorry for my bad english, it`s a long time ago I went to school..!

I´am searching for a hornspeakersystem. In germany manufaktures don`t prefer hornsystems. Hornies are aliens!!

But now my questions `cause
I`am interested in an - Audiophile serie seven Pi kit - :

1. How thick ( large? ) is the wood for 10" Midhorn?
2. Do you ship parts to germany ?
3. Can I get plans for cabinets and X-over?

Naturally i will pay you!

Much greetings !
I`m very interested in your answers.

Karl-Heinrich vom Dahl

You've got mail! [message #46764 is a reply to message #46761] Wed, 27 April 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We do ship to Germany by any shipper you prefer. If you are able to wait a month or two for delivery, surface parcel post with insurance is reasonably inexpensive.

The midhorn kit comes in various woods, and some are slightly different thicknesses. This is due to the fact that some wood products are offered in metric dimensions and others are measured by the inch. This caused the cabinet shop some difficulty because they had to create three different production jigs. Most are 5/8" or 19mm.

As for the loudspeaker kits, they include the speaker drivers, the connector panel, hook up wires, "π" logo decal and a printed copy of the plans. For larger speakers that incorporate a compression tweeter and crossover network, kits also include the crossover, tweeter compensation cable assembly, Zobel woofer damper where required, and all cable assemblies are completed and ready to install. Every kit containing a compression driver also includes the horn flare and the bolts to mount the driver to the horn.

Re: You've got mail! [message #46815 is a reply to message #46764] Wed, 04 May 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hello from germany, Mr.Parham!

Much greetings and thanks for the information of the seven pi speaker!
I needed a few days for study it, especially the downloaded files from your site were great for me. Also the forum is very interisting.

I showed my wife the seven pi plans and she don`t like it...
So i have to search an alternative system!
Following solution I consider:
15" Bassreflex cabinet (what kind of eminence Speaker you prefer?
I looked at the Magnum15HO)
10" Mid-Horn loaded with DELTA 10
1" HF 290 with PSD 2002
My living room is 19x12x8 ft and speaker has to stay near corners.
My favorite speaker will look like the web-link .
Can you help me?
http://www.woodhorn.com/2005.htm

Much greetings and thanks for your endeavors
Karl-Heinrich vom Dahl

Re: You've got mail! [message #46816 is a reply to message #46815] Wed, 04 May 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The speakers you are referring to are made by the person who used to make my cabinets and midhorns, so that's why you see such a similarity. If you don't have two good corners, you can build a three or four π loudspeaker with a midhorn. Just be sure the midhorn and woofer are within 2 feet of each other and the summing is good.

Do not attempt to undersize the midhorn, because it is pushing the limits anyway and requires boundary reinforcement, i.e. placement near a wall or corner. And I think I'd rather have a DI matched two-way than a three-way with crossover up in the vocal range, so I can't recommend shfting the woofer/mid crossover point up.

If you don't want to do a π cornerhorn, my best recommendation is a Profesional Series four π with the π midhorn, tweeter and crossover. You can load the woofer cabinet with a JBL 2226 or an Eminence Magnum 15HO. The Magnum can't be used up high, so it doesn't work in a DI matched two-way, but if you're making a three-way speaker with the midhorn, it will work just fine.

One last thing, you might have your wife look at the photo below. If you have two good corners, it would be a shame not to use them. They really look nice and seem to take up less room, so once your wife sees them, she will probably like them better than a freestanding speaker. It's hard to visualize the speaker from plans sometimes.

π cornerhorns provide uniform 90° radiation across the audio range which results in a balanced reverberent field. It makes a very natural sound, and is my personal favorite configuration. Next best thing is to put the four π's with midhorns in the corner, faced with 45° toe-in. It's not as closely coupled to the corner apex, but it's still pretty good. Next choice, for speakers that will be used in arbitrary locations in the room, I prefer the DI matched two-way approach.

If you're planning to put your speakers in corners anyway, you might reconsider this:

Re: You've got mail! [message #46818 is a reply to message #46816] Wed, 04 May 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hallo, Mr. Parham!

Thanks for the answer of my problems!
My wife accepted the seven Pi cornerhorn, because I will be happier if I don`t make bad compromises!
Here last questions:
Now you use the Deltalite 2510 in Audiophile Seven Pi Speaker. In my plans you put the Delta 10 in. Is it a big dfference? Must be the crossover changed? Are my characterizations up to date?

With friendly greetings
Karl-Heinrich vom Dahl

Re: You've got mail! [message #46819 is a reply to message #46818] Wed, 04 May 2005 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't use the Eminence 2510. I had originally planned to provide it as an option, but it didn't work as well as I hoped. I tested it in the seven π and it isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. I'd rather have the Delta 10 in this design.

Re: You've got mail! [message #46890 is a reply to message #46819] Sun, 15 May 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hello from germany
Mr.Parham,

I`ve some questions about your SEVEN PI Audiophile:

Is it right when I look at the plans of the vented Basscabinet that there is only 3/4 " free space between the inner port and front panel???
Total inner Depth = 7.75" - 6.25" (port depth) - 0.75"( thickness of port duction)= 0.75"

If I want to take the 2226 H, is tere a different in cabinet and crossover design?

How much ohms may be the inner resist of the inductor coils in your crossover?

Much greetings and thank you!
Karl-Heinrich vom Dahl

Re: You've got mail! [message #46899 is a reply to message #46890] Sun, 15 May 2005 22:14 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The duct in the seven π shares walls with the cabinet. It is layed alongside the baffle. The JBL 2226H can be used in place of the Eminence Magnum 15HO with no changes. The less resistance in each of the coils, the better. Do not exceed 0.5 ohms.

Previous Topic: 2118H pialign
Next Topic: 3 horn/driver comparison by backyard mechanic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 09:55:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout