Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Horn Damping Resistor
Horn Damping Resistor [message #46849] Mon, 09 May 2005 08:26 Go to previous message
aborza is currently offline  aborza
Esquire
Wayne,

After reading all your white papers I feel I understand how to estimate the preliminary values for most all your crossover components except one. I am unsure how the Horn Damping Resistor is estimated.

The damping resistor is in parallel with the series circuit comprising the horn attenuating resistor and voice coil. Am I correct that a first cut would be a damping resistor that when in parallel with the attenuating resistor and coil circuit would result in an impedence seen by the rest of the crossover that is about the same as the nominal horn impedance at the crossover frequency?

As an example: If we want a 6 dB attenuation and the horn has a nominal Z of 8 Ohms then the attenuating resistor would be 8 Ohms and the damping resistor would be 16 Ohms for a local network impedance of 8 Ohms.

I realize that first cut values are temporary and subject to change to get the crossover spot-on by a whole lot of measurements and listening. But is the above method the right way to get to the first cut? Or am I missing something? Could you explain?

Thanks

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Alpha drivers and more (long)
Next Topic: 2 pi/7 pi Hybrid
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 02:02:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout