Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » horn dessign
horn dessign [message #46792] Fri, 29 April 2005 05:51 Go to next message
otor4 is currently offline  otor4
Esquire
Gentlemans,
I'm trying to learn more about bass horn design. I've made several simulations with David McBean Hornresp and I've just found a nice functionality in the program: Hypex designer. I've encoded parameters of Kilomax 18 into it; I've indicated 0.5Pi space and range from 25Hz to 200Hz and the hornresp have given me a very nice looking tractrix horn. It can be folded into a kind of huge 2.5 m3 "cupboard", but this size is ok for my listening room. Is this, IMO theoretically "perfect", model also good for a real word application? Regarding graphs, will I get the same performances in reality? Is it a good idea (sonically) to try to build such a monster (actually two of them) for my 4m x 7m room?
Thank you in advance,
o'tor

Re: horn design [message #46793 is a reply to message #46792] Fri, 29 April 2005 06:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hornresp is very good at modeling low frequency response, so I think you can expect your physical horn to act like your mathematical model. The model treats the driver as a radiating piston, which is appropriate for low frequencies. At high frequencies, the cone doesn't act as a rigid piston anymore, and it develops greater high frequency energy because parts of the cone become decoupled and act as separate lighter radiating masses. But for a basshorn, this isn't an issue.

Previous Topic: Be sure to give some fancy speakers the..........
Next Topic: Rubber Ball Brace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 07:56:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout