Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » home theater speaker recommendations
home theater speaker recommendations [message #46707] Wed, 13 April 2005 09:10 Go to next message
tom clark is currently offline  tom clark
Esquire
I am constructing a dedicated home theater for a client and would like a recommendation for both main and center speakers. I am planning to use Magnum 15lf for the subs. I am limited by the built-in cabinet design to a 10" center speaker, but can accomodate up to 15" for the mains. Price is not a primary concern, though i do not want to spend extra on upgraded drivers if it will not be noticed. Can I get away with a smaller cabinet size than recommended in the speaker specs, since all signals below 80 hz will be sent the subs? I am thinking of using delta pro 12 for the mains and delta 10's for the center speaker? Would moving up to jbl 2226 be a recommended upgrade? If possible, I would like to stay with a driver configeration that I can purchase from the PI website in kit form, since the crossovers, etc have already been engineered.

Re: home theater speaker recommendations [message #46708 is a reply to message #46707] Wed, 13 April 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I assume that the center speaker will be located near the television, unless you are planning on using a projector. How do you plan to magnetically isolate your driver from the tv? I think that a subwoofer/center speaker combo would make a nice stand for a tv, if you could shield the drivers.

Perhaps you are going with a hang-it-on-the-wall approach? Are plasma and/or LC displays affected by magnetic fields?

Re: home theater speaker recommendations [message #46709 is a reply to message #46708] Wed, 13 April 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom clark is currently offline  tom clark
Esquire
There is a projector (screen size is 96" x 54"). The room size is 15'x20', with 12' ceilings. I should have mentioned this in my original post.

Re: home theater speaker recommendations [message #46712 is a reply to message #46709] Wed, 13 April 2005 12:02 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you have corners, I'd suggest Audiophile or Professional Series seven π or seven π-18 speakers for left and right. If not, you might put a π midhorn, tweeter and crossover on a bass-reflex cabinet a la four π. For a center channel, you have some options. You could use the π midhorn, tweeter and crossover or go with a direct radiating midwoofer instead, something like a Stage or Professional Series four π.

Previous Topic: It must be the Auricaps
Next Topic: Pi Midhorn with FOSTEX speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 16:18:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout