Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Crossover parts upgrades
Re: Crossover parts upgrades [message #46518 is a reply to message #46505] Sun, 20 March 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
Have you tried "oil" caps for crossovers? Since I do a lot of 1st order crossovers. I did a experiment using a PP cap of 4 ufd and a oil in metal 4 ufd cap and had a paper cone tweeter as the test dummy.

When I ran the PP cap the top end was okay, nothing special. I then swapped the "oil" cap in place of the PP cap. The entire top HF response opened up like no tomorrow.

I remeasured the 2 caps and they were "dead on" with the same 4 ufd readings. The oil caps are pretty much "motor start caps", but they make a big difference. I have been collecting all the oil caps I can get my hands on. 1st off, they are not cheap(compared to PP), second is the scarcity of finding them. I have found them in old tube amps, heavy duty high power regulators(like in engineering workshops), and some old speaker systems. (don't tear apart a classic like the Klipsch Heresey's or Altec's just to get these). I found old Heathkit speaker system that was shot(a peek inside at the crossover and I saw the oil caps), so the seller thought he got one over on me. LOL

Just my overactive imagination gone wild again.

Ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Seven Pi base questions
Next Topic: Comments on the two π tower
Goto Forum: