Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Do inductor coils combine like other components?
Do inductor coils combine like other components? [message #46485] Fri, 11 March 2005 04:36 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Can I add/subtract/multiply/divide coils in parallel or series to acheive a valu? Searches yield zip!

Yes, But!!!! [message #46486 is a reply to message #46485] Fri, 11 March 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,
coils in series get added, coils in parallel are treated like parallel resistors

L1 x L2 = Lx
L1 + L2 = Ly

Lx and Ly then divide up, just like odd value resistors.

Bill, remember that coils in series will also add DCR, and orientation of the coils may interact also.

I have never had reason to parallel coils as interaction would mess with that also.

What value do you need????? I can look in the basement inventory and check for you.

If you have a coil that is a higher value than what you need, then remove a few turns and measure until the value you want is reached.

Wayne, double check my work above so I don't give wrong info...

Ron

Re: Yes, But!!!! [message #46487 is a reply to message #46486] Fri, 11 March 2005 20:51 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Coils increase inductance and resistance in series, decrease in parallel. This assumes there is no magnetic interaction between coils, that they are separated physically and/or out of alignment so their flux in in different axis. If they combine, this change inductance in an additive or subtractive fashion, depending on their magnetc interaction. That's why coils on crossovers are sometimes placed in different orientations, to prevent interactons.

The formula for series inductance is:

LT = L1 + L2 + L3...

Likewise, for series resistance:

RT = R1 + R2 + R3...

Parallel inductance is found by:

LT = 1 / ( 1/L1 + 1/L2 + 1/L3...)

And parallel resistance by:

RT = 1 / ( 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...)

Previous Topic: Partially finished Pi 8's
Next Topic: Since it's Tax Season, Wayne, I gotta ask.........
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 19:55:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio