Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Corner Horn Recommendations
Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46386 is a reply to message #46385] Mon, 21 February 2005 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
Could you give me some dimensions on the corner horns? I'm leaning in that direction, but I still need to give them the acid test. How big are they? I'd like to build some cardboard mockups to get a feel for how the room will turn out.

I figure I can plop in a small tuned sub to smooth things out if the room characteristics render the bass unpleasant.

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46388 is a reply to message #46386] Tue, 22 February 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Send me your E-Mail address and I'll send you the plans.

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46391 is a reply to message #46388] Wed, 23 February 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sounds to me like you are in "trying to make your mind up hell" and it is driving you nuts. One the one hand you want something no more than 18" out from the corner, but you want to be able to "play" with moving them around for resonance purposes. The adire speaker is not in the same class as the 7Pi. and, while you can move it all over the room, It will not sound as good as the 7Pi no matter what you do. I would strongly suggest the philosophy of "Buy the best and only cry once." Go with the 7 pi. you will not need to move them all around, they will work best right in the corners, where you and your room needs them to be, and you won't lose sleep moving them all over the place, driving you and your wife nuts. If you don't like them, I will be happy to buy your boxes! Nice thing about these speakers, if you offered the finished 7Pi boxes for sale, you would have half this forum fighting over them in your front yard.

Just go for it!
Russellc

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46394 is a reply to message #46391] Wed, 23 February 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
you're right. "Trying to make up my mind hell" was where I was. partly because of my lack of familiarity with any of the proposed solutions (here or on other furims). But, corner horns are what I originally had in mind and once I sorted through all the "noise", the corner horns are probably the best solution.

The only issue now is that I want to have a clean front face, meaning that I don't want the speakers to look like 3 separate boxes. I'd like to build them with a contiguous front face. But I'm not sure how to do that since the midrange driver is enclosed in a box that is wider then the bass box. If it where a ported enclosure, I could change the box dimensions to be a bit deeper. But in this case, making the box narrower will change the horn dimensions.

Any suggestions?

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46397 is a reply to message #46394] Wed, 23 February 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can glue all three cabinets together and use the same finish for each, if you wish. We stake them together so they are fixed in place but can be disassembled for transport. But the idea is the same, to have them be a single loudspeaker system in appearance as well as function.

One more thing worth mentioning: You might really like a two-tone finish. It was popular back in the 40's and 50's, and it is really catchy for loudspeaker systems like these. So be creative; You might like the looks of a little contrast in woods.

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46398 is a reply to message #46397] Wed, 23 February 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Which brings up another question. Any wood recommendations?

Originally I was going to use Baltic Birch plywood, but I'm not sure that it is available in the recommended 3/4" thickness. Aside from appearance considerations, what is the best wood for 'acoustic performance'?

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46399 is a reply to message #46398] Wed, 23 February 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They're not so large that MDF is prohibitively heavy. You can also use 5/8" baltic birch.

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46400 is a reply to message #46394] Wed, 23 February 2005 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yeah, I know what you mean. I can only offer two solutions, neither perfect. One, don't use the mid horn, build the original 2 way 7 Pi. the tweeter was mounted on the front panel at the top. No mid horn. Problem...No mid horn! Two, build the 18" woofr version. The top box is the same width. Problem...starting to get much larger. G-R-R-R-RR! I'm getting a headache! How about the 8Pi?
I am considering doing a 7 Pi like the pictures on the Pi site...it shows the mid horn without an enclosure sitting on top, with the tweet on top of that. Looks more clean. I asked wayne about this and he told me it works....but...Problem...You of course get a little back wave reflection off the back of the driver, which is reflected by the corner. It's always a compromise. I have had all six JBL drivers for months and I amstill hung up on building boxes, well, finding someone to do it for me. I started out wanting 4 Pi w/ JBL, But I found an excellent deal on a pair of new in the box 2123H midrange drivers.

Regards, Russellc

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46403 is a reply to message #46400] Thu, 24 February 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Just a quick point of clarification: The original π cornerhorns were all three-way speakers. In the late 1990's, I tried them with woofers having rising response, and used the rear chamber as an acoustic filter. It was an interesting combination and some people liked it a lot. But the midrange is clearer with a dedicated midrange driver, so we've gone back to the original three-way design configuration.

Re: Corner Horn Recommendations [message #46404 is a reply to message #46400] Thu, 24 February 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Which brings up another approach I was considering. That would be making the bass box wider and shorter. But, that would affect the dimensions of the back horn and therefore, presumably, the sound.

How critical are the dimensions of the back horn? I'm guessing the design wasn't arbritrary. If I were to increase the width and decrease the height to compensate, what else would need to change to maintain the effectiveness of the horn.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi adjustments?
Next Topic: Great Plains Audio Club Meeting - March 19
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 10:13:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout