Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange?
Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange? [message #46207] Fri, 28 January 2005 09:12 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I do love my Stage Series 4 Pis, after some time I found my Parasound HCA-1500A amp was going to waste by powering these speakers so I sold it and put some cash in my pocket. My Pioneer Elite 54TX receiver does just as good of a job. Its really nice having easy to drive speakers , perhaps one could justify the extra cost for these speakers just by the savings that can be had in the amp section.

If I did upgrade amps then id go straight to a solid 400wpc @ 8ohm amp.

Anyhow I am posting because I am sort of considering selling my Stage 4 Pis because I have this bias that I cannot shake...I keep looking at that huge 15" driver and that small 1" tweeter and have to think I am missing something.

Am I?

Re: Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange? [message #46208 is a reply to message #46207] Fri, 28 January 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
James,

Spec's don't tell the whole story, but it's a good place to start. According to Eminence's SPL graphs, the Omega 15 runs pretty flat up to 2000Hz, while the PSD2002 comes down to 1600Hz. So, there shouldn't be any holes in between.

Have you performed a frequency sweep to hear if there are any audible holes in that area? If so, try reversing the connection on the tweeter to see if it makes a difference.

BTW, the tweeter's exit throat is 1". The diaphram in the tweeter is 2".

regards,
Gar.

Re: Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange? [message #46209 is a reply to message #46207] Fri, 28 January 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't find any lack of midrange and as Gar said, measurements show nice response too. But you can always add a midhorn if you want.
Re: Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange? [message #46210 is a reply to message #46207] Fri, 28 January 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi James'
I run a Behringer DEQ2496 which includes an RTA and measuring mic. It shows + or - 2 dB from 115hz to 12,500hz (with the EQ off) at the listening position (in room). I make no particular claim to accuracy, but with modern digital gear and calibrated mics the accuracy is quite good. For the record, my present setup has the exact PI crossover. It is also cool that with judicious EQing I have 30 to 20K flat to 100 dB with a 40 watt Crown D-75A!

Also consider that the Delta 15 has a thin light cone which means the cone is flexible at higher frequencies, so the total mass and size doesn't prevent the higher frequencies. With strong paper and at the associated moderate power levels this is usually an asset as I believe is the case here. This is why they don't shut down at 1000Hz like the Magnum or Kilomax. As for the HF driver its 2" once you get down into the guts. Horns load that light diapragm to make it "feel" bigger and heavier, but up high the throat is to big to resist that huge honkin' magnet, yet small enough not to cancel out the top octave. So you still get enough top end. Most bigger drivers have no good top end.
Enjoy 'em!
Thomas

Re: Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange? [message #46232 is a reply to message #46207] Wed, 02 February 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount
Hi James.

There is less midrange present when listening to my Pi 7's too.

Most speakers accent the midrange. How often do you listen to a car radio or radio at work that doesn't have any/many frequencies below 100 hz being produced? On many systems you listen to drums and they are background noise. When you listen to drums on the Pi's you can tell when they're getting pounded.

I was looking at those little Bose cubes the other day paired up with a sub in a restaurant I was at. They made decent sound considering the size. The midrange was certainly there. The drums were definitely background only. Speakers like the Bose cubes are designed to make the midrange that much more present and that is what a lot of people are used to listening to.

I prefer the Pi's though.

Grant.

Re: Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange? [message #46304 is a reply to message #46207] Sun, 13 February 2005 11:37 Go to previous message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Thanks guys...sorry for the late response BTW.

I have come to the conclusion that my room is greatly handicapping my Stage 4 Pis.

Hopefully some day I can give these speakers the room they deserve.

Previous Topic: One Pi speaker cabs/plans and reviews...
Next Topic: Pi Theatre 4?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 03:20:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout