Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Just want to say Thanks Wayne!!
Re: Just want to say Thanks Wayne!! [message #46300 is a reply to message #46293] Sat, 12 February 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RMW is currently offline  RMW
Baron
Hi Frank,

I'll be playing my bass with a blues trio at Wally's on Wyndham St. this Friday (18th). Not sure if you frequent the downtown saloons, but if you wish, stop in and say hi!

Re: Just want to say Thanks Wayne!! [message #46301 is a reply to message #46289] Sat, 12 February 2005 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
Hi Frank,

as a fellow Theater 4 owner, mightI ask how much R13 you had in your speakers originally and what you ended up with? I varied from Wayne's directions and used heavy felt carpet underlayment as a base for 1 1/2" of dacron fiberfill on 3 sides of the cabinet. Although this sounds good to my ears I always have a nagging suspicion that maybe the fiberglass would sound better. I have an insideous tweaker's affliction!

Glad yours are sounding good now - they're great loudspeakers and mate well with the Paramours!

Garland

Re: R-13.. how much I used.... [message #46313 is a reply to message #46301] Mon, 14 February 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Mena is currently offline  Frank Mena
Chancellor
Hi!
I originally used it straight out of the long plastic roll it came from (from Home Depot)without doing anything else. It sounded like a muffled veil was over the woofer. I places the cut sheets on the three sides as Wayne suggested previously. They looked about 3.5 - 4 (I didn't measure the thickness) inches in thickness. I then split (literally tore apart) the cut fiberglass pieces to 1/2 of the original thickness and then put them back in. Much better...they are now 1 to 1-1.5 inches in thickness and sound quite nice. I also added some additonal bracing to both cabinets although now I think it probably wasn't necessary and might have over done it, but they sound good and that's what's matters!!

Room acoustics, room size and placement will obviously play a major role in how they sound and what I did may not translate well for your room /space. As always.... your mileage may vary(ymmv)!!

Cheers!
Frank Mena

Re: Just want to say Thanks Wayne!! [message #46314 is a reply to message #46300] Mon, 14 February 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Mena is currently offline  Frank Mena
Chancellor
I will definitely try and get out and be there!
Thanks
Frank

Re: R-13.. how much I used.... [message #46316 is a reply to message #46313] Mon, 14 February 2005 07:57 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Frank,

It's been a while since I last looked at Wayne's plans, but if I remember correctly, the insulation he suggested should only be about 2" thick. That would explain the improvement when you halved your insulation.

BTW, there's no such thing as over bracing, so long as it didn't significatly change your cabinet volume or impede air flow. With an internal volume of over 5 cubic ft, you've got to install lots of bracing to make a significant dent in there.

Gar.

Previous Topic: Pi Theatre 4?
Next Topic: Great Plains Audio Club Meeting - February 12
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 08:24:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers