Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One pi - almost ready
Re: One pi - almost ready [message #46246 is a reply to message #46243] Fri, 04 February 2005 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RMW is currently offline  RMW
Baron
Vented box theory is just that, theory, for me at this stage. I'd like to know what you think of this.

My port cutout and the ID of my port tubing are both equal to 2 1/2" as opposed to the 2 3/8" in the original design. Not much of a difference, I know, but as I understand it, to maintain a given tuning frequency, an increase in the port diameter dictates that the port length should also increase. Any thoughts on mounting a 3" length of my 2 1/2" tube on the backside of my 5/8" baffles, and flaring the front side of the port cutout using a roundover bit?

My reasoning is by increasing the length of the port from 3 1/2" to 3 5/8" I would be compensating for the increased port diameter, and by flaring the front of the port, I would be adding a bit more to the air volume "inside" the port. Plus, the flare might look kinda cool

I have a lot of time and several pesos invested here, and like I said a few weeks ago, I don't want to muck things up. I have some basic test equipment, namely a digital multimeter and a synthesizer that I can use as a signal generator. I also have Dickason's LDC, so I can probably figure out how to measure box tuning frequncies and stuff. I'm not looking to improve the original design, just to match it as closely as I can with what I have.

Re: One pi - almost ready [message #46250 is a reply to message #46246] Sat, 05 February 2005 07:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The design specifies a port that tunes the cabinet to 50Hz. The truth is that there is very little difference in response in this particular cabinet if the port is tuned anywhere in the range from 45Hz to 55Hz, so there is a pretty broad range of port dimensions that work well.

Previous Topic: Stoetkit arrived!
Next Topic: what's the grande cabinet option?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 09:54:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio