Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One pi - almost ready
One pi - almost ready [message #46117] Wed, 05 January 2005 21:53 Go to next message
RMW is currently offline  RMW
Baron
I'm in the final planning phase of a one pi project, using 5/8" MDF with butt joint, screw and glue construction, and no internal bracing. I have an ample supply of #8 particle board screws and 1/8" drill bits for the pilot holes, so I will be able to practice on scrap material before I actually start assembling the boxes.

I've modified the dimensions slightly. The plans call for internal dimensions of 7.25 x 11.25 x 17.25. I decided to go closer to the golden ratio and came up with 7 x 11.25 x 18. The baffle layout is identical to the original, except the center for the tweeter cutout is 3 3/8" from the top of the baffle, as opposed to 2 5/8" in the original design.

Other things that may actually have an effect on the sound of the finished product - I plan to line the top, one side and the rear panel with 3 1/2" R-12 fiber glass and coat the exterior surfaces with this stuff:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

I have a neighbor who is a serious woodworking hobbyist, and he has agreed to help with corner rounding, driver recesses, and hole cuts. I repay him with stuff from Lee Valley - circle jigs, router bits, etc. - the arrangement is beneficial for both of us. Anyway, on to my question.

Does the 23 liter gross internal volume for the one pi design include allowance for internal bracing? I'm asking because my implementation of the design doesn't use any braces. This is my first vented box project, and I don't want to muck it up Thanks!

Re: One pi - almost ready [message #46118 is a reply to message #46117] Wed, 05 January 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those sound like some seriously good speakers. I hope you'll post photos when you finish them.

To answer your question about bracing, none is required in the Studio one π or two π loudspeakers. The towers need braces, as do the other larger speakers. But these speakers are small and the cabinet is very rigid without adding braces. The internal volume is right if no braces are used.

Which part of Canada are you in? (nt) [message #46119 is a reply to message #46117] Fri, 07 January 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Which part of Canada are you in? (nt) [message #46120 is a reply to message #46119] Fri, 07 January 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi GarMan,

I'm in SW Ontario - Kitchener-Waterloo area. What gave me away, the liters? LOL....

Re: Which part of Canada are you in? (nt) [message #46122 is a reply to message #46120] Fri, 07 January 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No. Lee Valley. Easy to spend all your allowance there, isn't it?

Re: Which part of Canada are you in? (nt) [message #46123 is a reply to message #46122] Fri, 07 January 2005 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
For sure - Toys 'R' Us for woodworker types. They ship to USA and international customers too. I'd be interested to hear what our American friends think of the prices.

Re: One pi - almost ready [message #46160 is a reply to message #46118] Sun, 16 January 2005 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Update - I finally got the MDF yesterday - all panels cut to size, and the guys at the lumber yard did a really good job. Yesterday I put five sides of each box together and caulked all the inside joints with clear silicone. Today I applied the first coat of primer - one more to go. I decided to try Benjamin Moore black chalkboard for a finish, instead of the truckbed liner stuff. So tomorrow, I'll apply another coat of primer in the morning, followed by the first finish coat tomorrow afternoon.

The mailman brought a new Jasper model 400 circle jig on Friday, payment for my woodworker friend who is helping with the cutouts. Just my luck that his folks were celebrating their 40th anniversary yesterday, so the cutting of the holes will have to wait a few days. I'll be ready - the centers for the cutouts are marked - ready when he is. In the meantime, I still have to cut the fiber glass panels for box lining. Not looking forward to that....

I will post pix when the job is done. One question before I go - any ideas on the best tool to make clean cuts on the cardboard mailing tube? I'm thinking a utility knife with a new blade, but I'm open to other ideas.

Re: One pi - almost ready [message #46162 is a reply to message #46160] Mon, 17 January 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Saw the port tube with a table saw. That will give you a very smooth and straight cut.

Re: One pi - almost ready [message #46242 is a reply to message #46162] Thu, 03 February 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Setback...my neighbor and I got together last night, and using his router and the new Jasper jig, we did the through holes for LF and HF drivers, plus port and terminal cups - all on the baffle. Tonight we were planning to cut recesses/rebates, using his router table and his brand new Sears 1/2" rabbeting bit. We did a test cut on a piece of scrap, and found that the 1/2" referred to the depth of the bit, and the actual width of the bit's cut was only 3/8" - 1 1/4" diameter bit minus 1/2" bearing diameter divided by two. I did an extraordinary job of managing my rage....

I'll be picking up a real 1/2" bit tomorrow, so it's not the end of the world, but I have run into another issue, and need some help and advice. We did the port cutout 2 1/2" according to the plans, and I discovered that the cardboard mailing tube I picked up at Staples does not conform to the design specs. Specifically:

1. The 2 1/2" mailing tube, made and purchased in Canada, is 2 1/2" ID, so the tubing does not fit in a 2 1/2" cutout.

2. The tube's wall thickness is roughly 0.1", not 0.03" as specified in Wayne's plans.

Questions:

1. Can anyone on the north side of the 49th recommend a source for a tube that will suit for this application?

2. If 1 is a no go, question for Wayne - would you be willing to sell me a suitable mailing tube? OD = 2 1/2", wall thickness = 0.03", length = 24". (Did I mention I'm working on six identical cabinets for my HT?)

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Re: One pi - almost ready [message #46243 is a reply to message #46242] Fri, 04 February 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
We've run into this before, occasionally the port tubes are made slightly larger than spec. The added strength from greater thickness is good, but it does make OD slightly larger. It's best to use an adjustable hole cutter and set it exactly to match the duct. Honestly, the best and easiest way is to cut new baffles, I think. But you may be able to open up the port cutout slightly to fit the thicker tube in place.

Previous Topic: Stoetkit arrived!
Next Topic: what's the grande cabinet option?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 05:16:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio