Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi almost done
2 Pi almost done [message #46225] Tue, 01 February 2005 20:43 Go to next message
fredd is currently offline  fredd
Esquire
I got my cabinets from the cabinetmaker today and got everything assembled except for the port tube and the insulation. Speakers are a bit harsh without these last two items...just couldn't wait to fire 'em up and give them a listen. Hopefully they will mellow out a bunch.

I think the instructions had R11 or R13 recommended. Does anyone have any other recommendations? How about the insulation that they sell at Parts Express?

added pic [message #46226 is a reply to message #46225] Tue, 01 February 2005 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
http://www.alpineclassifieds.com/images/2pi.jpg

Re: added pic [message #46229 is a reply to message #46226] Wed, 02 February 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks good! What kind of paint or finish are you planning?

Re: added pic [message #46230 is a reply to message #46229] Wed, 02 February 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
The baltic birch is pretty nice so I would probably do some light stain. If the Pi's go upstairs they would be black.

I hated to put the guards on but I have two of three in the audiophile's unholy trinity: kids and pets.

Re: added pic [message #46231 is a reply to message #46230] Wed, 02 February 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cat's sometimes love to make scratch posts of woofers, don't they?

Anyway, let us know when you get those ports installed. I like to paint the ports black on the inside, makes a nice contrast to the wood grain. It's easy to do with a little bottle of Tester's black enamel too.

Fred's two π speakers

Re: added pic [message #46233 is a reply to message #46230] Wed, 02 February 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
be careful staining birch- it does not take stains well and frequently looks very smeared. Try whatever you're planning on a piece of scrap wood before you do it to the speakers. I built mine out of Baltic Birch and just put an oil finish on them after sanding them very smooth. It looks great. I used Tried & True Varnish/Linseed Oil finish, topped off with the Beeswax version. There are several good oil products out there. Some shellac may add a nice touch, too.

Getting there... [message #46237 is a reply to message #46231] Wed, 02 February 2005 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Matt and Wayne for the finishing tips!

Still don't have the ports in but put some R11 in on 3 sides and WOW!!! what a difference! Sounds much better

Then my Sonic T-amp came in via UPS. Hooked it up to the Bottlehead Foreplay and the 2pi. Heeeheee even better. My wife can have her Yamaha A100a back now (it's fish food).

Next up is tearing apart the T-amp and putting it in an Art Taylor chassis with upgraded parts (see previous pic) and a modded UPS for a power supply.

When I'm done I'll still be into the setup for under a grand.

Bottlehead Foreplay $200
T-amp w/ chassis $200
Pioneer DV-578 $140
Rat Shack interconnects $40
2PI Speakers $400

And most will have been DIY.

Re: Getting there... [message #46240 is a reply to message #46237] Thu, 03 February 2005 04:12 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What a cool setup! Thanks for posting!

Previous Topic: 1Pi and 2Pi OLD plans
Next Topic: Stoetkit arrived!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 17:40:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio