Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theatre 3 and 4s
Theatre 3 and 4s [message #46194] Wed, 26 January 2005 07:48 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I interested in hearing some feedback from those who have listened to both the Theatre 3 and Theatre 4. Every owner of the 4's speak very highly of it and I'm wondering what (if anything) I'm missing out on with my 3's. Not that I have any plans on building a pair of Theatre 4's. Can't afford the space.

Gar.

Re: Theatre 3 and 4s [message #46197 is a reply to message #46194] Wed, 26 January 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi GarMan,
I have built both. I have 4's at my house and I built the 3's for my Brother. I visit him about every week and usually watch a movie or listen to a few cd's every time I go over, so I have lots of experience with both. We own nearly identical associated equipment as well. Theater 3's are incredible for the size. I guess it is the "LF" aspect of the driver that allows it to keep up with the 15. I often use a 40 watt/channel crown and for this I favor the 4, but at higher power(Adcom 5500 at Bro's) I actually prefer the 3. No reason i can pinpoint, just a subjective difference. In fact we were shocked at how little difference there is. I would be enormously impressed if anyone has designed a smaller speaker that has such terrific bass and power handling. The 4 comes off a touch fuller and warmer, but his room is bigger than mine and has a different sound. I bet differing room acoustics exceeds the degree to which they sound different from each other. In my opinion you have no need for want at anywhere near this size and price class.
Thomas

Re: Theatre 3 and 4s [message #46199 is a reply to message #46197] Wed, 26 January 2005 14:40 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thomas, thanks for the feedback. I think the Theatre 3's are pretty nice too. It's just that all the accolades go to the bigger Theatre 4, so you start to wonder if there's a huge difference.

Unfortunately, my Theatre 3's are under-used, as it's hooked up to an entry-level Sony HT receiver for HT purpose. Every so often, I bring down my gainclone or tube amp to realize the full potential of these guys. As an added bonus, the Delta 12LF are really nice looking drivers and dimensionally matches up with the width of the horns.

Gar.

Previous Topic: So how well do Pi's image
Next Topic: Pi 2 Towers.....help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 23 14:57:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers