Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Professional Series 7 Pi Plan Request
Professional Series 7 Pi Plan Request [message #46150] Sat, 15 January 2005 15:01 Go to next message
Jerrod Harden is currently offline  Jerrod Harden
Baron
Hi Wayne!

Could I please get a copy of the plans? I'll be running a pair of 2226's active below each midhorn and hf horn, but everything else should be close. I won't be needing to match a lf subsystem, so I can run the hf horn at the minimal 6 db attenuation which results in a 104 db hf section. I'm guessing I'll need to pad the midhorn down a db or two to get to matching levels. Do you know what resistor values would be required to attenuate 1-2 db in a 8 ohm system? I can convert for appropriate 16 ohm values. Thanks! Jerrod

You've got mail! [message #46155 is a reply to message #46150] Sat, 15 January 2005 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
When using passive networks for tweeter horn compensation, you really can't reduce attenuation without also reducing augmentation up high. So there's a limit to how much can be done. For what you're wanting, I'd suggest you go full active and EQ the tweeter level up some in the top couple of octaves.

Re: You've got mail! [message #46156 is a reply to message #46155] Sun, 16 January 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerrod Harden is currently offline  Jerrod Harden
Baron
Wayne,

I'm intending on using something very similar to the 1.6K crossover with 6db augmentation. This will bring the JBL 2426J/2370A combo down to 104 db across its bandwidth, if I understand correctly that you are attenuating the lower end of the driver response to match the top end making a more linear response. If this is correct I'm planning on matching the cone driven midhorn to this level. My guess was that the midhorn/2123J would be in the 105-106 db range. Not a lot hotter but a little bit, approxiametly a db or two. Should I try it as is or will the midrange shout a bit? Thanks for sending along the plans. Take care! Jerrod

Re: You've got mail! [message #46158 is a reply to message #46156] Sun, 16 January 2005 11:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I have a 6dB tweeter crossover, so I'll send you the schematic if you want. You probably already have it, because there's a chart of values that show optional 6dB-14dB components included with the schematic of all the large two-way speakers (3π, 4π). If you used a 6dB tweeter circuit with the midhorn, you'd definitely want to change the midhorn attenuation level to match. But I think I'd go with either the (10dB compensation) mid/tweeter passive crossover shown in the seven π plans or run a fully active system. If you run 6dB compensation then you'll still need additional EQ.

Previous Topic: any one care to share their experience for the Pi 8?
Next Topic: Thermionic eight pi & Audiophile Seven pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 09:30:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout