Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One pi - almost ready
One pi - almost ready [message #46117] Wed, 05 January 2005 21:53 Go to previous message
RMW is currently offline  RMW
Baron
I'm in the final planning phase of a one pi project, using 5/8" MDF with butt joint, screw and glue construction, and no internal bracing. I have an ample supply of #8 particle board screws and 1/8" drill bits for the pilot holes, so I will be able to practice on scrap material before I actually start assembling the boxes.

I've modified the dimensions slightly. The plans call for internal dimensions of 7.25 x 11.25 x 17.25. I decided to go closer to the golden ratio and came up with 7 x 11.25 x 18. The baffle layout is identical to the original, except the center for the tweeter cutout is 3 3/8" from the top of the baffle, as opposed to 2 5/8" in the original design.

Other things that may actually have an effect on the sound of the finished product - I plan to line the top, one side and the rear panel with 3 1/2" R-12 fiber glass and coat the exterior surfaces with this stuff:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

I have a neighbor who is a serious woodworking hobbyist, and he has agreed to help with corner rounding, driver recesses, and hole cuts. I repay him with stuff from Lee Valley - circle jigs, router bits, etc. - the arrangement is beneficial for both of us. Anyway, on to my question.

Does the 23 liter gross internal volume for the one pi design include allowance for internal bracing? I'm asking because my implementation of the design doesn't use any braces. This is my first vented box project, and I don't want to muck it up Thanks!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Stoetkit arrived!
Next Topic: what's the grande cabinet option?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 22:11:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio