Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » mid horns
mid horns [message #46025] Fri, 17 December 2004 18:06 Go to next message
Kevin N. is currently offline  Kevin N.
Esquire
Hello everyone, I have been guided to this place by some well respected people, and was hoping that you could help me out.

I need to design a horn to go from about 80 HZ (my subs are lab 12's) that goes up to about 500Hz, or so...

I have dowloaded the hornresp program, but I must admit that I can't really follow what some of the things it is asking for inputs.

I should also tell you that this is for a PRO cabinet, (I use 3 labs per side) and will be stacked in to a vertical array, of 3-4 units or more.

so where do I start?

80Hz horn [message #46027 is a reply to message #46025] Sat, 18 December 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm planning to build a horn like what you're talking about to go with my 12π horns. I'll probably use a driver like the Eminence Magnum 12 or JBL 2206 mounted on a horn. Models show a 3 foot conical horn with ~30in2 throat and ~400in2 mouth should do nicely.

I have my hands full right now, but probably in the first quarter of next year, I'll be building some prototypes. I still have most of the work ahead of me for the 12π horns, and might make a newer 10π as a scaled down version of the 12π using HL10s. Both of these will need a horn to cover the range above 100Hz. The smaller midrange horn that I use in seven π and eight π speakers is too small to reach down to 100Hz. So I plan to make a horn that uses Magnum 12s or 2206s to cover the range.

Re: 80Hz horn [message #46028 is a reply to message #46027] Sat, 18 December 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
interesting you where considering those drivers... they where the same ones I was looking at.

I heard some roumours of them makeing a lab12 with teh shorting ring that the Magnum has, might be worth an email.

I think the big challange for me is going ot be the geometry, cause I need to put it in to a cabint that will fit well in a truck.

Bill Fitzmaurice [message #46031 is a reply to message #46025] Sat, 18 December 2004 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Hi! You could also check out Bill Fitzmaurice forum here on this site - some of his horns seems like they could fit your bill(!):

Re: 80Hz horn [message #46033 is a reply to message #46028] Sat, 18 December 2004 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The subwoofer with the shorting ring is out. I was the one driving the B12 project, and Eminence was not able to make it economically. That's the reason I'm working on the push-pull arrangement instead. It requires some development work, but I think it has the potential of performing better. The downside is that there will be no replacement part that allows an easy upgrade for existing horns.
Re: 80Hz horn [message #46101 is a reply to message #46033] Sun, 02 January 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
so I have been playing around with hornresp a bunch, how ever I don't think I am useing it right, do you know of a "tutorial" or example some where the kinda explains how to use it?

Kevin Nemrava

Re: 80Hz horn [message #46102 is a reply to message #46101] Sun, 02 January 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The "help" file is pretty good. Press "F1" or click the "Help" menu to access it.

The user interface is pretty basic, but it does the job. You just need to describe the horn using the fields provided. Enter throat area, mouth area, length, front chamber, rear chamber and driver parameters. You can enter the horn as a single section or a series of sections, depending on what shape you're modeling.

Re: 80Hz horn [message #46105 is a reply to message #46102] Sun, 02 January 2005 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
hmm interesting, .. now it is not even setting up. just gives a message that say "16 bit windows subsystem" "c\windows\system autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running msdos and microsoft windows aplication. choose close to terminate application."

this is for the latest version of the file. but it worded before.

any ideas? - I will work on it and let you know.

Kevin Nemrava

Re: 80Hz horn [message #46108 is a reply to message #46105] Sun, 02 January 2005 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a bummer - I had hoped your next message would be either you had a model entered and working, or nearly entered and had a question about some aspect. Once you get rolling on this deal, I think it will be easy for you and you'll like it a lot.

Let's start from scratch on the program. It's a pretty simple install; As long as the files are there, they will execute. No entries are required in the Registry or Windows "INI" config files and no special setup is required. So maybe erase the Hornresp files and re-boot your system, reload the program from download and start over again. That will make sure memory and disk files aren't corrupted in some way.

Re: 80Hz horn [message #46121 is a reply to message #46108] Fri, 07 January 2005 16:25 Go to previous message
Esquire
I have not fallen of the face fo teh earth or anything, ... I am just trying to resolve some issues with horn resp.

More to come soon.

BIG K

Previous Topic: Midhorn implementation
Next Topic: Tower 2Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 07:18:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers