Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sex amp and the Pi speakers
Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45813] Wed, 17 November 2004 21:26 Go to next message
BNAL is currently offline  BNAL
Chancellor
Wayne,

I asked about the 2pi towers a few post ago. I have read additional post that raised some questions about the 2pi and the SEX amp I ordered. I know that this combination has not been tried as far as I have seen (nothing posted on any forums and the amp is not shipping yet). Do you thing I will get enough out of the 2pi towers or should I opt for something like the Theatre 4's. Also, could you send me the plans to Theatre 4's to see if I can handle the project.
Thanks

You've got mail! [message #45815 is a reply to message #45813] Wed, 17 November 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm running Paramours and two π's sound great with them. I think you'll enjoy them. Having said that, if you have a little more budget, sure, go with the fours. You might also check out eight π's. I'll send plans for each of these.

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45819 is a reply to message #45813] Thu, 18 November 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland garland is currently offline  Garland garland
Chancellor
Hi BNAL,

Funny you should end up here! I think Wayne's loudspeakers are the best way to get high quality high efficiency sound for the money! You can pay more for greater refinement but for simple designs that are relatively easy to build and don't break the bank you can't beat them. Other approaches to Hi-Eff. such as Fostex back-loaded horns and for more $$, Lowther B.L.H.s, though sounding very good are to a greater or lesser extent not really full-range systems IMHO. At our New England Bottlehead meetings, whenever "Real" speakers such as the Theater 4s are present, they are always the choice for extended listening after the other more modest homemade speakers are given a chance to play. The only downside is their up-side: They can be fairly large. I don't take my Theater 4s out of the house! But boy do they make music with my Paramours and I'm sure they'd do great with 1.5W. These speakers are a joy to own if you are a DIY type since subtle changes in the electronics are distinctly audible through them. But tweakers neurosis is a deadly disease and has ruined many a marriage and resulted in severe reprimands from employers for tardiness!
I'm not sure how loud the Studio 2 Pis would go with the SEX amps but they'd be at least as loud as the pipes you were considering w/1534s and would be more refined sounding(just a crude guess). Even so, I'd go with the Theater 4s if you can swing it!

Good luck!

Garland

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45823 is a reply to message #45813] Thu, 18 November 2004 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Garland and Wayne,

Thanks for the input. I'm sold on either the theatre 4's or studio 2 tower's. Bill Epstein has given me so go information on updating the tweeter that make the 2pi town more interesting and a good first speaker before I move to the theatre 4's. I did have a couple of questions about the 4's. First do the 4's need to be put on a stand and can the dimensions be changed to make it more of a tower?
I'm moving to Virginia next month and will buy one of them at that time.

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45824 is a reply to message #45823] Thu, 18 November 2004 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
Yes, The Theater 4s can be built more as a tower and no, they don't need to be on stands although I built mine with about a 3" riser which I think makes them a bit more like furniture and less like a box on the floor. Do take a look at the archived Photos which you'll find by searching for "photos" or "gallery" here on the Pi Forum.

G.

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45828 is a reply to message #45823] Thu, 18 November 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You might like the Studio two's with the Vifa DX25TG05-04 tweeter. Use it with a 10uF polypropylene capacitor in series and a 16 ohm resistor in shunt. The Alpha 10 uses the same 0.5mH coil. I've been working on this as an option if no one picks up on the KSN1038. If this change is made, the kit price will be increased about twenty bucks.

It moves the speaker into the cone/dome category, but it is high efficiency so it's nice with your low power tube amps. This tweeter is a 4 ohm device, but with the cap and resistor, system impedance is still about 8 ohms until above 10kHz, where it only drops to about 6 ohms. Both the efficiency and the impedance curve of the loudspeaker is very nice for tubes and response is very good too. Something to think about.

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45832 is a reply to message #45823] Fri, 19 November 2004 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bnal,

If built with upgrade in mind, the 2PI Tower cabinets can easily be upgraded to the Theatre3. Cabinet volume are very close and very minor adjusts need to be made to the port.

The Theatre3 would not be the best match with flea power amps, but if ever consider getting a second system with an SS amp, it's something to keep in mind.

Gar.

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45855 is a reply to message #45819] Mon, 22 November 2004 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Garland,

I'm in the military and getting ready to transfer from Miami to Norfolk. I moved the family a couple of months ago so the kids could start at the beginning of the school year. Since I made the decision to buy Doc's S.E.X. amp and do a speaker project I have not been to my house in Virginia Beach. Well I'm up for Thanksgiving and I did some measurements and if I go with the Theatre 4's one of the speakers will be only a about 6 inches from one of the walls. I'm not sure if that's to close or should I get one of the smaller designs, maybe the stage. Some of what I have read on this forum makes me think that the S.E.X. amp my not do well with the stage's because of the drivers high Zmax. My experience with speakers is that they need to be away from walls. Is the Theatre 4 the same way or do they work well when close walls? I can't wait to get started. I'm just not sure I will be able to stop.

Thank,
Brad

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45858 is a reply to message #45855] Mon, 22 November 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Theater 4's work best against walls. They're horns, and being more directional than direct radiators makes the placement rules a little different. Best placement is on the floor and against a wall. If placed in a corner, angle it in so that the horn isn't pointed where you'll get reflections off the side wall.

If you put the speakers in a corner and angle them in 45o, the corner of the room makes the bass dispersion pattern equal the treble dispersion. You won't have side wall reflections because the tweeter flare pattern is within the wall angles. That's a very good placement option for 90o horns.

Re: Sex amp and the Pi speakers [message #45859 is a reply to message #45858] Tue, 23 November 2004 06:18 Go to previous message
Chancellor
That makes sence, and makes getting the Theatre 4's an easier decision.

Previous Topic: Thermo Pi 3 as kit ?
Next Topic: Cap Rating for XO?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 11 18:11:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout