Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi Towers
2Pi Towers [message #45785] Thu, 11 November 2004 20:07 Go to next message
BNAL is currently offline  BNAL
Chancellor
I'm looking to buy Doc's SEX amp and I'm going to need speakers that it can drive. I have heard good things about these speakers and at my price point they seem to be a good match for this amp. I want to build them as a kit, but I'm not sure if they are above my ability to build. I would like to see a picture of them and diagrams if possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: 2Pi Towers [message #45786 is a reply to message #45785] Fri, 12 November 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cavernicola is currently offline  cavernicola
Esquire
I have built the regular 2 PIs, which are the same just smaller. Check out my website: http://www.missouri.edu/~lnra54
You can find some pictures there and a mini review. Building these speakers is pretty easy, the only difficult part is making straight cuts (they need to be "perfectly" straight). You will need access to a good table saw and a router/jigsaw to make the baffle holes. These are very good speakers for the price. They cost me less than $200 for a pair including everything. Also, there's a gallery around but I don't know the address(you might want to do a search).

Re: 2Pi Towers [message #45787 is a reply to message #45786] Fri, 12 November 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BNAL is currently offline  BNAL
Chancellor
I saw your web site before, very nice. I have heard good things about the 2pi on diffierent forums. I want to know if you are driving the 2pi's with your Firefly amp? If so, so they have enough power? I would think so, but just want to make sure.
Thanks,
Brad

You've got mail! [message #45788 is a reply to message #45785] Fri, 12 November 2004 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: 2Pi Towers [message #45789 is a reply to message #45787] Fri, 12 November 2004 16:42 Go to previous message
cavernicola is currently offline  cavernicola
Esquire
I don't use the firefly for hifi, its intended for guitar amplification, I guess I should update the page to reflect that. The firefly project is a guitar amplifier capable of 1 watt distorted output. This lets you get nice power tube distortion at low levels. I have connected it however to one of the pi's and they are so efficient it can get pretty loud.

For a clean low powered tube amp I would recommend something like a 6BM8 tube in single ended class A. You could probably make it as small or smaller than the firefly as the 6BM8 is a dual tube. One section is a high gain triode similar to the 12AT7, the other is a pentode capable of 7 watts dissipation. You could probably get 1-2 watts of nice class a power, maybe more. Is that enough power for hifi? I don't know, but some people swear by their 2a3 amps, hehe..

Previous Topic: new subwoofer
Next Topic: Great Plains November 2004 Audio Club meeting photos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 14:41:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout