Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 8's up and running!
Pi 8's up and running! [message #45749] Sat, 06 November 2004 23:17 Go to next message
Jeff Aiken is currently offline  Jeff Aiken
Baron
Wayne,

These things sound great! They've only been playing for about a 1/2hr. Still have a while to break in, but on first listen they really sound good. Very dynamic and great low end. One thing though, I have them hooked to an old 25w/ch Marantz. I let them crank a little at a fairly moderate level and began to notice some distortion. Turned it down a bit and at very low volume it still was distorted. After about 1 to 2 minutes it went away. Clear as a bell. So, I got to wondering what impedance the amp was seeing from the crossover, measured it and found it to be 4 ohms. Fortunately, the amp really doesn't have a problem with this unless I crank it for a while (which I rarely do ;), but is this really very tube friendly?

Anyway, I got Diana Krall singin in my bedroom. Mustn't leave her waiting. Man these things sound good!

Re: Pi 8's up and running! [message #45750 is a reply to message #45749] Sun, 07 November 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's great, please post photos if you can. I'd love to see 'em!

The eight π loudspeaker is one of the most tube-friendly speakers in the line. You're right that impedance falls to a low of just above 4 ohms at DC and very low frequencies, but it quickly rises above 8 ohms.

Tube amps are actually more sensitive to impedance peaks than dips in most cases. I'd suggest these speakers be put on 8 ohm taps, but there may be some amps that work better on a 4 ohm tap.

Transistor amps sometimes become distorted with very low load impedance, and some can even be damaged if the load drops too low. But 4 ohms is generally acceptable.

The eight π loudspeaker is over 8 ohms from 100Hz up, over 4 ohms minimum and less than 30 ohms maximum, so it is not a difficult load for most any amplifier to drive.

Re: Pi 8's up and running! [message #45751 is a reply to message #45750] Sun, 07 November 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks, that makes sense.

They aren't finished yet. At this stage they're still "naked" MDF. I hope to cover them in a walnut veneer or something, soon. I'll try to borrow a digital camera sometime and post them.

I can't tell you how good these things sound!

Jeff

Re: Pi 8's up and running! [message #45752 is a reply to message #45750] Sun, 07 November 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
BTW, once I've got some real "ear time" on them, I'll post a review.

Thanks for a great design.

Re: Pi 8's up and running! [message #45753 is a reply to message #45751] Sun, 07 November 2004 00:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks, Jeff, that sounds great. I'm happy you're enjoying them. I'm real enamoured with those eight π's too.

Previous Topic: What's The Difference Between A Horn And...
Next Topic: new subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 13:32:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout