Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone into guitar, 4X12 cab. plans needed.
Anyone into guitar, 4X12 cab. plans needed. [message #45715] Tue, 02 November 2004 02:47 Go to next message
Erik from Holland is currently offline  Erik from Holland
Baron
Hello Everyone, Wayne,

I`m currently helping out my neighbour`s son with a plan. He want`s a bigger guitar-speaker for playing in his metal band. since i have not much to do and find the idea of building a new project nice, i agreed in helping him out. I also have much left-over parts for the kabinet, so that is not the problem.
The problem is that i`m not sure what to build. He likes the idea of a 4 x 12" kabinet with Marshall`s Celestion speakers inside.
Would such a Marshall-clone be easy to build? I think so, but would anyone have plans for me?

Would anyone have better idea`s?

Would it be a good idea to ad a bullit tweeter to the cabinet?

Yesterday we hooked up his current amp, a marshall 2x12 combo, to my stereo on the attick. These are hooked up to 2 small PA speakers with a 10" and a 1" horn, and a stereo sub. I noticed that the pa speakers projected the sound much brighter than the combo, but playing only the combo you noticed less irritation from sounds that accidenly where made by touching the strings whyle playing. So the sound from the tube-amp combo was cleaner. But the sound from the PA speakers was more live-like. But killing my ears.

Greeetings,

Erik

Re: Anyone into guitar, 4X12 cab. plans needed. [message #45716 is a reply to message #45715] Tue, 02 November 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't have 4 x 12 plans, but PiAlign will calculate box volume and porting for you. Just enter the driver specs and use a quantity of (4). You might also check at the GuitarAmp or ProSpeakers forums.

Re: Anyone into guitar, 4X12 cab. plans needed. [message #45717 is a reply to message #45715] Tue, 02 November 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
IMHO, it's best to stay away from audio concepts like tweeters, etc. for guitar amps. String noise sucks. Mr. Fender and Mr. Marshall knew what they were doing! Best compomise that many use is their fav amp, close-miked (try Shure 57), and run this through a board and the PA system. this gets you the best of both worlds.

Re: Anyone into guitar, 4X12 cab. plans needed. [message #45725 is a reply to message #45715] Tue, 02 November 2004 21:45 Go to previous message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
In my opinion, there's a lot more vanity to guitar speaker design
than actual design. If you want to build a 4x12 cabinet, stop
by a music store and take the mesaurements. You do have to be
aware of the cabinet impeadance and what the amp is set for.
If its a tube amp, you have to match the total load to the output
impeadance of the amp. SS is OK down to whatever minimum it
states. You can get Celestions in 8ohm and 16ohm versions.
Figure out what you want to total load to be, before buying
any drivers. Explain to the kid how he can or can't connect
the two cabinets and how to set amp output impeadance if its
settable.

Chris

Previous Topic: Four Pi questions
Next Topic: crossover electronics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 06:23:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects