Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Surround Pairs
Surround Pairs [message #45705] Sat, 30 October 2004 01:39 Go to next message
Michael Brown is currently offline  Michael Brown
Esquire
I finally close on my weekender Ranch w/ the gameroom Theater next week. Whoot... Hoping to throw a couple questions by you guys for your opinions.

The setup: I'm going to run 2 (or 3) Theater 4pis (I assembled two so far) up front in large speaker mode, and I just ordered 6 Studio 1 kits for the surrounds and I have a decent sub already (VMPS Larger) for the .1 channel and the surround lf. For electronics I've ordered a NeuNeo dvd player and have a Rotel 1095 (5x250) amp and a separate amp for the sub.

Question 1: The room is rather large so my plan was to pair up two Studio 1 speakers on each side of the room and two at the back. Is there anything special I should do when wiring studio 1's in parallel? I'm guessing driving 4ohms through the Rotel won't be a problem. Or is this a really bad idea?

Question 2: I need to decide what theater pre/amp, to use with the Pi Speakers and my Rotel amp, anyone have suggestions? I've been using and like the sound of my Sony DA4ES through the Rotel but I now need a 2nd receiver or a true pre/pro because I still have my regular TV room back in town with a bunch of hungry NHTs. I like the sound of the Anthem but the cost is too prohibitive. Priority = Theater > sports hdtv > music > games. I hear good things about these new fangled digital receivers.

Re: Surround Pairs [message #45708 is a reply to message #45705] Sat, 30 October 2004 09:58 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That is going to be one really sweet setup. Connecting the one π's in parallel shouldn't cause any problems.

I'm running a Carver CT-17 home tuner/preamp on one of my systems. It's about 10 years old but supports 5 channel Dolby Pro Logic Surround and has inputs for two A/V channels, aux, tuner, phono, CD, and two tape channels. It's a very capable unit. The only thing I don't like about it is the goofy way the tape channels are setup. It's the strangest thing you ever saw.

If I was looking to buy a home theater preamp today, I'd try to find something like this that also supported Dolby Digital and DTS. Here are some possibilities:

• Adcom Tuner/Preamps
  • Marantz AV9000
  • B & K Reference 50

• Previous Topic: Studio 1 and SET amp
    Next Topic: Seven Pi plans
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 05:12:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio