Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne Parham--Midrange horn
Wayne Parham--Midrange horn [message #45679] Sun, 24 October 2004 09:19 Go to next message
Kevin S. is currently offline  Kevin S.
Esquire
Hi
In a reply to Algonquin on Oct 9/04, Wayne you mentioned better quality midrange speakers use "flux stabalized magnets" and you prefered the 90x40 horn design. What midrange speaker would you suggest for a home theater system/music?

Thanks,

Kevin S.

Re: Wayne Parham--Midrange horn [message #45681 is a reply to message #45679] Sun, 24 October 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If you've got the money, go with the JBL 2012. The Delta 10 sounds very nice in this horn too.

any middle ground? [message #45695 is a reply to message #45681] Tue, 26 October 2004 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dwk is currently offline  dwk
Esquire

Of the units that are stock parts of kits, that is the obvious pecking order. I'm curious as to whether you've shopped around a bit and looked at other possible alternatives for the midrange?

Some possible mid drivers that I've stumbled across (but not heard) are the 6.5" B&C and the Ciare 8" neo.

Re: any middle ground? [message #45696 is a reply to message #45695] Tue, 26 October 2004 18:31 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There is a fair bit of work optimizing a driver, horn and crossover into a system. I've tested four drivers extensively, and I am confident of their performance and certain how to implement them. These are the JBL 2012, Eminence Neodymium 2510, Delta 10 and Alpha 10.

Some people have used alternate units. McCauley and Selenium have been used that I know of. The McCauleys went in some nice cherry horns, and the Seleniums went in some MDF's.

Personally, I'm very fond of the JBL's. The Eminence speakers sound very nice though too, and don't cost near as much. I'm hoping Eminence will become more zealous about making drivers with shorting rings, as they have expressed a desire to reach that market. But they are slow to change and seem to prefer "picking low hanging fruit" right now.

Previous Topic: Art crossovers
Next Topic: Studio 2 plans?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 03:54:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout