Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speaker Design philosophy
Pi Speaker Design philosophy [message #45675] Sat, 23 October 2004 18:31 Go to next message
newjerseybt is currently offline  newjerseybt
Chancellor
Hi Wayne:

It has been quite a while since I have visited your site as I have been involved with personal matters. I have some questions that were probably answered some time back in previous threads so please
point me in the right direction to save yourself some typing.

1) Your previous designs were exclusively 2 way and you touted the latest and greatest JBL tweeters as having enough high end to eliminate the third speaker. Why are you now designing and
selling 3 way systems?

2) Your high end speakers are corner loaded and have limitations in very large auditoriums (unloading). What happened to your front horn designs that seem more suitable for this purpose?

Thank you for your time, Bill

Re: Pi Speaker Design philosophy [message #45677 is a reply to message #45675] Sun, 24 October 2004 02:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, all my original designs were three-ways, as shown in the PiAlign.doc. The drawings and formulas are really more of a description, or an outline, but the original speakers were all three-ways, nonetheless. Only the one π and two π were two-ways.

After about 1990, I started making some large two-way systems and I really liked them. With the right components, you lose little but the cost. But I've taken the cornerhorns back to a three-way because I think it makes more sense for that design. The one π, two π, three π and four π are all two-way speakers.

As for the ten π, I'm still asked for those a lot. Most people use the bass bin all by itself, and it works great. My favorite was always the seven π, but when I moved into the home I live in now, it didn't have suitable corners in the living room, so I had ten π's built instead. They are hopelessly oversized for the room. Sound great, but they are very imposing.

Have you seen the new little eight π's? I think those are a lot of fun too, so check 'em out!

Previous Topic: Kits Plans
Next Topic: Wayne: Showroom in Tulsa post
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 11:50:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout