Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Questions, questions
Questions, questions [message #45650] Wed, 20 October 2004 22:08 Go to next message
dwk is currently offline  dwk
Esquire

I'm somewhat new to the high-efficiency world, but even so I'm surprised I missed the Pi corner horns, as they might be perfectly suited to my room. A couple questions

- what are the xover freqs?
- can the kits be customized?
- are there any pointers on build experience? ie how tough, tips etc.
- Is it feasible to start with say a Theater version and upgrade the mid and/or compression to the JBL's (or maybe another compression driver) I'd expect tweaks to the xover, but I can handle that.

Wayne, if you make plans available to not-yet-customers, I'd be interested in getting a set for either the Theater 7 or Audiophile 7

You've got mail! [message #45651 is a reply to message #45650] Thu, 21 October 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The crossover frequencies for π cornerhorns are 250Hz and 1.6kHz. There a bit more information about the crossover in the post called "Implementation," including measured response charts and a brief evaluation of the implementation.

As for pointers on building, there are some general tips included with the plans. These include things to watch like using braces and insulation and being careful to observe polarity when connecting the wires. But there are a lot more good suggestions discussed here in the forum. You might want to look thorugh the archives by using the search function. Try specific words like "bracing" or "joints" or "insulation." There are some really talented cabinetmakers that frequent this forum and they have given some excellent tips.

About upgrades, some woofers can be substituted in a particular design and others cannot. Sometimes you can swap a woofer in a cabinet with some changes, like changing the port. But if you are considering an upgrade path, this is something you might want to think about ahead of time.

As an example, the Stage, Premium, Audiophile and Professional Series cabinets are all the same, so the woofers are interchangeable. But the Theater Series is not. You can do some port modifications to a Theater Series seven π and make a Stage, Premium, Audiophile or Professional Series seven π-18. But that requires modification, so you might want to consider that as you make your initial decision.

Thanks [message #45654 is a reply to message #45651] Thu, 21 October 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dwk is currently offline  dwk
Esquire

Thanks, Wayne. I've only had time for a glance at the plans - lots to digest.

Seeing the plans, things are simpler than I thought - basically a box firing into a corner, with some outrigging. The compound miter cuts on the mid horn are probably the toughest part.

Have you had a chance to A/B the Deltalite vs the ceramic equivalent? Since weight isn't a concern here, is there a sonic advantage to the neo? In theory, it might have slightly lower distortion, but I'd guess you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference at typical home levels.

Re: Thanks [message #45657 is a reply to message #45654] Thu, 21 October 2004 16:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The 2510 has very controlled breakup modes, probably due the fact that the dust cap is a mesh and doesn't act as part of the radiating membrane. They look great in the midhorns too. The thing is they roll off about 1kHz and that's a little lower than I want to crossover in this design. But the reduction of breakup mode energies is very attractive. Too bad you can't have it both ways.

Previous Topic: active crossover
Next Topic: 4Pi and 7Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 17:47:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout