Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Prosound electronic crossovers.
Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45562] Thu, 14 October 2004 15:00 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hello,
I have looked at several "pro sound" type crossovers, and have noticed that unlike home stereo type electronic crossovers, they utilize a different style of hookups, for balanced setups I'm assuming,instead of the traditional rca jacks. Short of getting
all balanced pro components, (which will not be happening) is there any way to utilize these crossovers with my components which use standard RCA jacks? as you can probably tell from the text, I have never used pro type components which don't use RCA, and have no need for balanced components.

Russellc

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45563 is a reply to message #45562] Thu, 14 October 2004 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Balanced interconnects are much better than unbalanced, especially when long runs are required. But you can use an isolation transformer to connect a device that uses balanced connections to another that has unbalanced connections. You can also wire them together directly, but you should be careful not to introduce a ground loop. You'll know if you do, 'cause it'll hum very loudly.

Rane has a really good little interface article that discusses this in more detail.

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45566 is a reply to message #45563] Thu, 14 October 2004 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the info wayne, it is much appreciated. My equipment is all tube and is not setup for balanced in/out puts. So I would need the converter box, balanced interconnects, etc. Being a minimalist, the idea of converter boxes and such in the signal path doesn't sound like it would be worth the trouble. I'll wait to find or build a regular "hifi" unit. Most likely, solid state...nuts!

Using passive X-O for now,
Russellc

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45570 is a reply to message #45566] Thu, 14 October 2004 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
:^)

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45571 is a reply to message #45562] Thu, 14 October 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi Russellc,
I have had almost no issues running "pro"/balanced crossovers with all of my consumer gear. DJ's have always had this issue of pro and home gear coming together and any decent shop will be happy to advise and even make or modify cables if you don't want to D.I.Y. Some gear will need a transformer, especially XLR equipped units, but then some with TRS print "Bal/unbal" right on the plugs. DBX model 223 has bal/unbal ins and outs.(this is not an endorsement,{though I like the brand} as I haven't tried it, but my crossover is not available unbal anymore) Do NOT use phono to 1/4" adapters. If you ever get a loose adapter you have never heard 60 cycles so loud in your life. There are some serious high quality 1/4" plugs out there, just solder 'em on one end of your RCA cable. Ask around the music shops and if you have clubs or a college town nearby you can usually find rentals to test drive before you get comitted. Have fun!
Thomas

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45574 is a reply to message #45566] Fri, 15 October 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Russell,

A balanced line system doesn't have to be solid state. Tube systems can be built in balanced configuration too. Gar.

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45577 is a reply to message #45570] Fri, 15 October 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They cost a lot. Have you tried Steve Bench's site, I believe he still sells the PC board for his tube two-way xover. Reasonable, you just need a power supply which is fairly simple here since there is not a huge demand for power.

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45578 is a reply to message #45574] Fri, 15 October 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I am aware of that, its just thay mine is already built and it isn't balanced, and its all I have to work with, thats all! Oh well...
Russellc

Re: Prosound electronic crossovers. [message #45579 is a reply to message #45577] Fri, 15 October 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I have seen the bench site it is very interesting. Is this the tubeed (6922) X-over? There is another site I have bookmarked somewhere from a guy that sells sort of a kit, basically it consists of enough chips for what ever you need, 2,3,or 4 way, compensation, Q adjustment, volume etc. You also get a board of sorts, not a finished circuit board, more like a bread board/perf board sort of deal. And you can order parts for the power supply. the rest is up to the builder. It is solid state, like the marchand stuff (Marchand does have a tube Xover, but not cheap) which is also interesting. Several different units, from assembled units, complete kits, partial kits, and blank or stuffed boards. I have seen pro type X-overs on ebay for fairly cheap (used) and just wondered about them in HiFi applications. Oh well, time to heat up the solder gun and make some decisions. And, I'll need another set of cables...about 20 to 25 feet...braided cat 5.
The idea of doing that wire weaving nightmare again is frightning indeed scarey.

Thanks, everyone for the info and ideas,
Russellc

Triphon Crossover [message #45580 is a reply to message #45579] Fri, 15 October 2004 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Selectronic has an active crossover kit called the Triphon that might be worth looking into as well. Talk to Eric Mainardi over on the Selectronic forum and maybe he can arrange a demo unit or something.

Previous Topic: Eminence LA6
Next Topic: I've got two words for you ...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 17:14:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio