Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi center channel speaker
Pi center channel speaker [message #45506] Sat, 02 October 2004 08:30 Go to next message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
Wayne,
Have you ever or would you consider designing and selling a Pi center channel speaker, perhaps something along the lines of a JBL4702X? I would think there would be a market for a speaker specifically design to sit horizonally below a TV for home theater. With coming of many new TV designs featuring thin light TV's most owners will placing a center channel underneath the TV a more viable option than a speaker on top as is now frequently done. I would think this would open the door for use of a 8",10' or even 12"woofer in a center channel instead of the 4"-6" MTM designs that seem to dominate the market today. A center channel adept at voice reproduction with the efficiency and dynamic capabilities of Pi speakers would be a big step forward in home theater. I tried one of my Stage 4"s as temporary center channel speaker and it was as close to sound of movie theater as I believe you are going to get. Using a pair of Stage 4's as right and left speakers with a simulated center channel is not same(at least with my processor) as having the dedicated center channel speaker(the dynamic impact of the sound is greatly reduced).
Larry

Re: Pi center channel speaker [message #45507 is a reply to message #45506] Sat, 02 October 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's not a bad idea, but I've never drawn up plans for a speaker specifically designed for use as a center channel. One thing that should definitely be avoided is stacking lining up the drivers horizontally because that creates nulls along the horizontal axis. You definitely don't want that. Another problem for some people is the powerful unshielded magnets. If I get some of these drivers within a couple feet of some televisons, the screen distorts and has to be degaussed. But this isn't the case with all monitors or all speaker drivers.

On the other hand, there have been several people here that have used a center channel same as their left and right speakers without any problems. That's an ideal situation. Some modify cabinet dimensions to fit nicely as a dialog speaker and used drivers that didn't have such long magnetic reach. Sometimes, the cabinet is made short and wide or vice versa, keeping the driver position relationships the same or close to it. Provided that is done and cabinet volume and tuning are right, it usually works pretty well.

The main thing is to maintain a uniform horizontal pattern that is reasonably wide, not to use a speaker with side by side drivers. Nothing kills sound quality worse than that, because nulls form smack dab in the middle of the listening area. It is also important that the center channel match the left and right channels in tonal character and volume, so that side to side panning sounds natural. One of the hardest things to do is to position the speakers so the sound comes from the same place as the images, not too far above or below the screen. It's usually best to put the center speaker directly above or below the screen, and the left and right channels just to each side and at about the same height as the center speaker. It can be tough setting everything up that way, and sometimes you have to make tradeoffs.

Re: Pi center channel speaker [message #45508 is a reply to message #45507] Sat, 02 October 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Here's what I did. Not the same as a big Pi, but it works
great all the same. Its matched with 2-Pi's for front L/R,
and pseudo 1-Pi's for the surrounds.

Chris

http://cerchaos.homeip.net:1280/woodworking5.html
http://cerchaos.homeip.net:1280/woodworking6.html

Re: Pi center channel speaker [message #45509 is a reply to message #45507] Sat, 02 October 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne,
I am not positive about this but I believe the new thin screened plasma, LCD and DLP sets are not affected by speaker magnets like the older CRT TV's so the use of unshielded drivers is not a problem. You might check it out or perhaps someone on this forum could address this issue. If I am right you might have a niche for a new product.
Larry

Re: Pi center channel speaker [message #45510 is a reply to message #45508] Sat, 02 October 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Chris,
Very nice work. I have been thinking about making some rear channel speakers in cabinets like your sub to sit back in the room corners with drivers facing the room.
Larry

Re: Pi center channel speaker [message #45511 is a reply to message #45509] Sun, 03 October 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right that some of the newer monitor technologies are unaffected by magnets. You can get away with a lot more speaker near those!

Re: Pi center channel speaker [message #45512 is a reply to message #45508] Sun, 03 October 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are sure good looking speakers! I had forgotten that you built those small corner speakers - Those are cool!

Hey : don't forget my Premium 4 Pi Centre channel! [message #45513 is a reply to message #45506] Mon, 04 October 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount

I built a centre channel to match my 4 Pi Left-Rights.
It is sitting under my HT screen. I believe I made it 18x18x36.

Have a look. I built it so the horn should be centered under the screen so actually placement puts it a bit left of centre.

Re: Pi center channel speaker [message #45547 is a reply to message #45507] Tue, 12 October 2004 07:09 Go to previous message
Yury is currently offline  Yury
Baron

hello all!
I think center channel is not easy for produced.
couse it's for voice at first. our ears more sensible for human voice. it's difficult seduce. so, it should be very high quality product

Previous Topic: Pi speakers gallery?
Next Topic: Studio 2 Port info?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 06:50:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout