Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Blown Driver? Maybe not...
Blown Driver? Maybe not... [message #45527] Fri, 08 October 2004 13:39 Go to next message
Fresno is currently offline  Fresno
Baron
Wayne,

We had a discussion a couple months back, it is at the link below.

I finally got around to removing the offending driver, and I'm not 100% sure it is blown. With the driver out, I can make it make the buzzing type noise by covering the little screened port at the back of the driver. Is that normal for it to buzz when the port is covered? If not, then does that mean it is blown?

Fresno

Re: Blown Driver? Maybe not... [message #45528 is a reply to message #45527] Fri, 08 October 2004 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The port in the center of the speaker magnet is a cooling vent that is important at high power levels. At lower levels, it really isn't needed. By covering the cooling vent, you will lower its maximum power handling capability and shift its electro-mechanical parameters a little bit. But it should not buzz even if the vent is plugged.

I still think the speaker is blown. It sounds like the voice coil is rubbing. If the voice coil is overheated, it will deform and begin to rub. Sometimes I find that speakers with rubbing voice coils buzz unless some pressure is put on the cone, other times, they buzz more when pressure is placed on the cone. I think that's what is happening to you - The slight backpressure from plugging the cooling vent exacerbates the problem. If you'd like, I can send it to Eminence and see if they'll warranty it.

OK, Will Ship in the next few days. nt [message #45529 is a reply to message #45528] Fri, 08 October 2004 16:27 Go to previous message
Fresno is currently offline  Fresno
Baron
nt

Previous Topic: 'phile 7 plans plz
Next Topic: Theater 3 Plans Please!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 25 10:28:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio