Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 2 question
Pi 2 question [message #45461] Mon, 27 September 2004 09:22 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
A co-worker of mine is building some 2 Pi towers, his boxes came out to 15.75" d x 13.25 w x 46 h or about 4.9 total not incuding the 2 braces and driver. He will probably be at about 4.6 net when its all said and done.

Anyway he said he cut the hole on the back at 4.75", I ran the numbers and that seems like its going to be abit too high of a tuning.

Furthermore he said he would rather have an actual port, or something with a lip on it to cover up a less than perfect hole cut.
Something from PE would do.

Given where he is at right right now with volume , please recommend a port from Parts Express as well as a good safe lenght to go with.
Personally id rather have a too long of port then too short.

I'll make him take pics of them when he is done...this is his first speaker project but he is an excellent automobile restorer so already know these are going to come out sweet looking. He has opted to finish them with Formica laminate.

Thanks , and I am sure he will appreciate it as well.

Re: Pi 2 question [message #45469 is a reply to message #45461] Mon, 27 September 2004 20:57 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wonder, could your friend measure Fr with a signal generator and DVM and then cut the hole larger as needed for tuning? Or maybe it's just easier to use the formula below to find the hole size. Either way, I'm thinking that probably the port hole is going to be very short, so using panel depth for the port length may be your friend's best option.

One way to give an attractive smooth look to the port is to laminate it with a thin plastic strip. Sign makers have just the stuff. Formica might work too. Another thing I personally like to do is to paint the edge.

Previous Topic: Re:harshness & sibliance
Next Topic: Pi 2 questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 18:46:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout