Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question for PI Corner Horn Owners
Question for PI Corner Horn Owners [message #45378] Thu, 16 September 2004 23:00 Go to next message
Doc Jr 8156 is currently offline  Doc Jr 8156
Chancellor
Hello,
Just want opinions from corner horn owners about room positioning. I know that the cornerhorns are supposed to be in the corners of the room but my question is, is it okay or do the imaging suffers when using corner horns and all your other gears are positioned in between the speakers? Say 2 pairs of speakers,TT/CDP/tuner/preamps rack on the middle. Just wondering,how difficult is it to build the cornerhorn plans DIY? Sooting for the Premium 7s. Thank you.

Re: Question for PI Corner Horn Owners [message #45379 is a reply to message #45378] Fri, 17 September 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm sure I'm biased, but I always liked the π cornerhorns best. They just sound better. I've used them in a variety of room conditions, and the only rooms that I don't like with cornerhorns are those with raised hardwood floors. And I can't get those to sound good with any speaker, below 100Hz the floor becomes a resonator. As far as room confirgurations, I've had them in long rooms, thin rooms and those with odd shapes. The best are rooms with approximately 3:2 ratios and I usually like the speakers on the short wall. But other placements work very well too.

Bass response is improved using this configuration, and since the mid/hi horns also have 90o dispersion, this makes all sound sources have the same pattern. It also reduces side wall reflections since the coverage angle is within the confines of room boundaries. It's like the walls become extensions of the flare instead of acting as reflectors. So the first reflections are those from opposing walls.

If you have the option of using corners, I strongly suggest you try this approach. I think you'll be very satisfied.

Re: Question for PI Corner Horn Owners [message #45380 is a reply to message #45379] Fri, 17 September 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. I'm patiently saving to get the PI 7s. I'm moving to a new house next week and once I'm settled I'll go for the kit and build my cabinets. I'm presently using a Fostex based backhorn (EZ 168). I think the PIs will give me the efficiency of a horn, more higher extension and deeper bass than what I have right now. In short, improvement in all aspects. Can't wait. You'll hear from me soon.

Re: Question for PI Corner Horn Owners [message #45381 is a reply to message #45379] Fri, 17 September 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I forgot, can I have a sneak peak on the plans for the PI 7 Cornerhorns? Thank again.

You've got mail! [message #45382 is a reply to message #45380] Fri, 17 September 2004 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: You've got mail! [message #45383 is a reply to message #45382] Fri, 17 September 2004 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,
Never got the attachment. Thanks.

Re: You've got mail! [message #45384 is a reply to message #45383] Fri, 17 September 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oops, sorry.

Check your mail now.

Wayne

Re: Question for PI Corner Horn Owners [message #45386 is a reply to message #45378] Sun, 19 September 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Hi Doc.

I've got an air tight wood stove in the middle of the wall I have the Pi's sitting on, and the rack with the electronics as well.

I put the rack with the electronics right beside the speaker and slightly forward so as to not block the open area the bass moves out of. The wood stove doesn't seem to interfere.

Your Fostex sounds interesting. The biggest difference I would expect would be the ease with which the Pi's fill the room/ major parts of the house with clean sound. You didn't mention what size of room you are putting them in. Big is good.

Enjoy.

Grant.

Re: Question for PI Corner Horn Owners [message #45387 is a reply to message #45386] Sun, 19 September 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Grant for replying to my post. My listening room in my new house where I was given a dedicated room for my audio gear (by my significant other)measure 25 X 30 feet with 12 foot ceiling. I really think the PIs will be great on this. The PI 7 will occupy the corners and I'm planning nothing besides them but all my other gears (on my rack) will be in the middle. This is how I'm using my Fostex horn right now, on the corners. Although the Fostex are only 96db sensitive, my 8 watter 300B drive them impeccably. For the PI 7s, I'll be using either my Scott 222, my Macintosh, Fisher 500c or my Welborne ST-70. We'll see which one will give the best matching or I'll get a 2A3 based amp because the PI 7s are efficient enough to be driven by even a few watts. I'm really looking forward to this experimentation. Source would be a Teres TT, Dual TT, AH Njoe tjoeb CDP or my Mac/Fisher tuner via a NOH preamp. Can't wait. Godspeed.

Re: Question for PI Corner Horn Owners [message #45399 is a reply to message #45387] Mon, 20 September 2004 18:04 Go to previous message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

>>where I was given a dedicated room...

We need to start a Spouse/ Significant Other Hints section and you can be moderator. ;-)

I made some sacrifices so my listening room isn't dedicated. The pool table isn't all bad though.

Enjoy.

Grant.

Previous Topic: mid horn
Next Topic: mid horn for pi 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 04 13:01:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers